Thursday, December 01, 2005

How I Am Frittering Away My Intellect

1) Reading books far beneath my intellectual level, such as "Good Night, Moon" and "Home for a Bunny".

2) Handling the majority of the physical labor in my household, including wiping bottoms and flushing toilets.

3) Mothering more than one child, thus ensuring a life of indentured servitude.

4) Spending my days involved in mind-numbing childcare.

5) Watching late-night television, specifically David Letterman, in addition to an assortment of reality shows.

My intellect is so compromised that I can't even think of the additional ways I'm harming it.

* * *

Today it snowed an inch and my boys had a twenty-minute snowball fight. My daughter tentatively stood on the patio and said, "I don't want the boys to hit me with a snowball!" and I assured her they would not. After all, she is a girl and I still believe boys should defer to girls, but I'm old-fashioned like that.

The snow has fallen again tonight in the dark, so it's a veritable Winter Wonderland outside. But there's no more time for musings . . . Oprah will be on David Letterman momentarily.

Oh, and because you're wondering, I'll tell you. My kitchen table now boasts a festive candlelit Spode church. But the Advent calendar is still buried in the storage room, along with the Christmas tree.

Okay, okay, time to watch the Oprah/Dave reunion. I can feel my brain cells withering away, because as a stay-at-home parent, isn't that inevitable?

11 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrim said...

It's not being a stay-at-home parent that does it. It's the relentlessly gray skies of winter.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, but at least you got your predicted snow. Down here in Portland we got a couple of flakes and it fizzled to nothing. The kids were so disappointed.

Have fun. Hope O and DL were worth staying up late for. :)

~K!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Not if you blog and read blogs, and you know it! In fact, your intellect is so vast that you can think of something interesting to say almost every day, which is how often you blog ? almost every day.

8:24 AM  
Blogger tlawwife said...

I have always felt that a good childrens book has something for the young and old alike. Many of them have aspects that are far above the understanding of children. Of course by the time you have read it 50 times or more you might felt like you have seen it enough.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't you hear about the study that said motherhood actually makes you smarter?

8:40 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I'm starting to worry about myself.

I truly want no other life than mine, which revolves around children and books.

What else is there? Perhaps I've just forgotten.

Oh, and throw in dinners out and antique/thrift shopping and a prepaid card to an art supply store.

Then, I'd be so happy I would not know what to do with myself.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

It's old-fashioned to expect boys to defer to girls?

Guess that makes me old fashioned too.

I fell asleep before Dave and Oprah. Was it worth staying up for? Do tell.

Suzanne

1:43 PM  
Blogger Sis said...

A friend recently claimed to have read that having children does indeed kill brain cells.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

What!?

You mean you don't find reading about my son's food preferences and my insecurities about my hair to be intellectually stimulating enough?

I'm officially offended.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

Oh my. I can so relate. I love my kids but boy am I feeling stressed right now.

6:18 PM  
Blogger yum said...

I know exactly how you feel.
I remember the moment I realized this. I was walking around with barney songs stuck in my head all day.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares