Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Bah-Humbug

On my kitchen table sits a wooden bowl full of festive autumn gourds and lumpy decorative vegetables. An orange ceramic Halloweenish container adorns a canister. Our late-shedding deciduous tree in the back yard is dropping leaves. My Thanksgiving recipes are still taped to the kitchen cabinets, as is my Thanksgiving timeline for cooking. The giant electric roasting pan is in the other room, too, awaiting storage.

But I'm not entirely unprepared for Christmas. For instance, my Christmas china (Spode, Christmas Tree pattern, in case you feel like sending a gift) is on display. (Nevermind that it's on display in the hutch year-round.) And I do have those wrapped Christmas gifts stashed under my bed. The Spode tea kettle that I never managed to get put away last year after Christmas is finally appropriate sitting on my stove. It looked kind of weird in July, but now it looks just right.

I'm in a slump, but at least my tea kettle has the Christmas Spirit.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe that's what I need. A festive tea kettle that I leave out year round, just so it's there at the right time!!

6:11 AM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

I am very slightly jealous of your Spode china. Very slightly.
I am making beef stew in the crockpot, and I do not feel guilty about having nothing done for Christmas except a small poinsettia on the kitchen table.
:-) Simplicity is in. Ha.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Mel, would you like to do the meme of 7's? Some day, you may need some ideas on what to blog. Anyway, I tagged you. :-) No hurry.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh, it'll come. Really, I've put it off and I always get around to it. Tho I do have some guilt that my advent calender isn't ready by Dec 1 since that takes so much forethought!
Cheer up. And Merry Christmas :)

~K!

1:34 PM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

I cant belive you have wrapped gifts already..u are already ahead of me;)

2:50 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

You are too dunny. I am totally in the christmas mode around here.My tree is up, my lights are put on the outside of the house and I'm beginning to plan the menu!I'm a nervous biddy and i need things done in lots of time.

And hey, i read in your post below that you got snow! we havent seen one tiny flake here in Oregon. Boo hoo

2:51 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Ah, but at least you still have festive autumn gourds! Our puppy dragged ours out into the yard. Only one of them has reappeared: in our other dog's mouth, half-chewed.

I swear that puppy moves so fast we had no clue she was stealing gourds. Can't wait to see what she does with the Christmas tree!

Suzanne

7:29 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Mel, I'm going to that sale again for Spode. Are you looking for any particular piece? Let me know!

8:09 AM  
Blogger The Bizza said...

I too, am ill-prepared for x-mas. Hopefully, we will buy our new fake-tree this weekend.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares