Thursday, December 22, 2005

Oughts and Nots

Well, let's see. This is what I intended to do this week:

1) Sort through the children's closets to weed out clothes that no longer fit. Assign them to categories: Goodwill, Lady at Church With Baby Girl, Little Boy I Babysit, Consignment Shop, Save Forever.
2) Pick through children's toyboxes, shelves and cubby holes to remove broken, unwanted and misfit toys.
3) Clean my pigsty house.
4) Bake Christmas cookies, at least a few.
5) Force Encourage children to "do" art lessons for school-at-home.
6) Create Christmas ornaments/gifts using doilies, clothespins, and cut-out photographs of their faces.
7) Catch up on laundry.
8) Visit my 99-year-old grandmother.

This is what I've actually done:

1) Stayed in bed (off and on) until 9:30 a.m.
2) Read Memoirs of a Geisha, just in time to see the movie.
3) Baked chocolate chip cookies.
4) Mailed all but two or three Christmas cards. (I'm missing addresses and ran out of stamps.)
5) Dumped tons of laundry in the laundry rooms. Failed to wash, dry, fold, put away said laundry.
6) Napped.
7) Ate Hickory Farms summer sausage at 10:30 p.m
8) Finished two art lessons for school-at-home. Only eight more to go.

Clearly, I'm an underachiever.

Now. Here is what I ate today:

Breakfast, about noon:
Last Little Debbie Swiss Cake Roll I found hidden on top of buffet. I ate this standing over the sink, wondering what to have for lunch.
Lunch, 1:30 p.m.: Salad with ranch dressing. Diet Coke.
Afternoon: Kringle, which arrived by mail. . . a slice here, a sliver there. Three almond roca pieces.
Late afternoon: Chocolate chip cookie dough. One chocolate chip cookie.
Dinner: One bowl homemade potato soup sprinkled with sharp cheddar.
Dessert: More Kringle.
After exercising: Hickory Farms summer sausage and eight Ritz crackers. Two more cookies.
After summer sausage: Half a pint of ice cream. 

Clearly, I need an intervention.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Pop over and tell me what you thought of Memoirs. I want an opinion from a real person, not a critic. I brought it for Christmas holiday reading (along with a billion other books so I'm trying to decide what to start with).

12:20 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

Did you write this week that Chocolate chip cookies aren't "real" Christmas cookies or was that someone else????

My blogger user name still says "Sal". I'll have to change that one of these days!

Shelly

4:14 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I'll interveen!

Give ME that cookie! And a swiss cake roll??? Food of the gods! Kringle? I LOVE Kringle!

I made chocolate chips cookies yesterday, and because of YOU I couldn't make them 'plain'. I added a half cup of malted milk powder to the dough. Husband took them to work. His comment? "No, they don't look like Christmas cookies, but these people will eat anything"

6:02 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Well, the chocolate chip victory seems a bit hollow, as you were indicating underachievement.

But I'll take it anyway.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Peace and blessings to you and yours.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Kringles!!!

Never heard of a kringle until I moved to kringle-land. Now they are everywhere here in Wisconsin.

I don't like them but I am not a pastry fan of any sort.

Sounds like a typical week for me - much "to do", much more "not done"

Merry Christmas!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Jack-on-the-Lake said...

Hey! Somehow I must have set up my blog so it doesn't link to my site - which is great. So from now on I'll post comments under "Jack-on-the-lake" instead of Karri - since you have my blog address anyway!

9:31 AM  
Blogger The Bizza said...

How dare you people?

I realize that I'm the one who formally declared war on x-mas cookies, but Mel requested an intervention, and you responded by gloating over chocolate chip cookies? With not even two days till Christmas? Am I to understand that we're waging war, with no tolerance or quarter whatsoever?

I though you folks were made of sterner stuff.

Mel, I grant you the intervention you so gallantly requested. A wise person once said that seeking help is an indication that one is not too far gone.

So get off yer keister and make with the merriment! At the very least, get the Christmas chores started. We wanna see sugar cookies with green sprinkles and that edible glitter stuff, post-haste! Just think? The sooner you get done, the sooner you can plan the much-anticipated ?Geisha? movie-night?

9:40 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

I laughed right out loud at your plea for someone to intervene! Your day sounds like way too many of mine! Bwahahaha!

2:13 PM  
Blogger grace said...

You are my kinda woman! I'd offer to intervene for you....but I'd rather enable you. :)

Thanks for sharing your reality.

grace

4:15 PM  
Blogger dinodoc said...

I shall offer an intervention, but not quite the one you were looking for: YOU HAVE FULL & EXPRESS PERMISSION TO, EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, CUT YOURSELF SOME SLACK! ;)

Now get back to work.

12:30 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

I must tell you that I brought up the chocolate-chip cookie issue today at lunch. My partner immediately insisted that homemade chcolate chip cookies are indeed worthy of Christmas, but her Danish-born mother and grandmother were fervently on your side. They practically recoiled at the thought. Though her mom did make an exception for "special" cookies (like the bear claws she was munching at that momvent, which had chocolate chips cleverly embedded on the underside).

Okay. Back to work with you!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares