Sunday, December 18, 2005

Some Cookie Clarification

Okay. You know how you have dress-up clothes, say, for weddings, and then you have the clothes you wear when you work in the yard?

That's the difference between a Christmas cookie and a chocolate chip cookie. A Christmas cookie is a special occasion cookie, one that takes a little more time (chilling dough, for instance, or whipping egg whites), effort (rolling, cutting, pressing, frosting, sprinkling, shaping) and perhaps special ingredients (coconut, yeast, dried fruit, unsalted butter). A chocolate chip cookie is an everyday cookie, one that can be easily baked using the staple ingredients you keep in your kitchen. (What? You don't keep chocolate chips in your house at all times?!)

I love a chocolate chip cookie, even your sad, dry, crumbly, inferior chocolate chip cookie. I have five recipe variations in my recipe box at this very moment. I am devoted to chocolate chip cookies, ever on a quest for the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie ever. I am not dissing the chocolate chip cookie. I love chocolate chip cookies of all kinds (but crispy on the edges and melty in the middle with chunks of nuts are, of course, my favorite).

I'm just saying it's an everyday favorite, not a Christmas cookie. I don't wear jeans to wedding and I wouldn't bake chocolate chip cookies and call them Christmas cookies. And on this matter I will not be swayed. (Unless, of course, you send me your best chocolate chip cookies as a bribe proof that you are right and I am wrong. Then, maybe, we'll talk.)

Update: B.J., although it it common here in the Pacific Northwest for a man to show up at a wedding in whatever clothes he happened to be wearing while he was weeding the garden, we girls usually like to dress up. :::looking around::::: Don't we? Am I alone in my archaic viewpoints?

12 Comments:

Blogger lucylocket said...

I found your blog while "blog bouncing." It's delightful!

1:40 PM  
Blogger The Bizza said...

Woah! Wait a second...

What's wrong with wearing jeans to a wedding?!? Your odd customs confuse and frighten me.

1:47 PM  
Blogger M3 said...

Ahhhh, now I see the problem. It's just a location thing. I'm from California, babe. I didn't even wear shoes at my own wedding (on the beach of course). :-)

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still agree with you. Chocolate Chip cookies are something that you probably don't want to give out at Christmas but just love to get on a variety plate. Kind of like sit down dinners at weddings - everyone wants to have them because they feel a bit fancier but you would rather ATTEND a wedding that has a buffet. Am I right?

4:22 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

So my sister in law comes over tonight, and the subject of Christmas Cookies came up, and her list of cookies she made included....Chocolate Chip Cookies....I bit my tongue....poor thing doesnt know that those are just not special enough to be called Christmas Cookies. Mel, you are so right on this one - Christmas is a special occasion, and to qualify as a Christmas Cookie, it should be special enough that you only make it at Christmas time. End of discussion.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, IMHO, you don't just show up wearing jeans to a wedding unless you were born in a barn--or you absolutely don't own another pair of pants and can't possibly afford to buy a pair of khakis. If the bride & groom wish for their guests to dress in jeans or shorts or whatever, they usually make that wish known in advance.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

B.J. is cracking me up over here.

What if the chocolate chip cookies had special ingredients added? Like toffee bits and such. Would they still count as a normal cookie?

I know lots of people who make Rice Krispie treats and hand them out at Christmas. I suppose that's wrong up in the Pacific NW, as well as other uptight, ahem, proper places?

Actually, I would rather attend a wedding that had a sit down dinner, as opposed to a buffet. I can't stand the lines at a wedding buffet. I'm all about the instant gratification.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me, it's not a cookie worth eating unless it's a chocolate chip cookie -- not chocolate chocolate chip, not oatmeal, not jelly filled. For that reason, I recently took chocolate chip cookies to a Christmas cookie exchange. I felt a bit sheepish when I was forced to claim them as mine, but I would also note that I was the only one who didn't leave with any of my own cookies.

6:59 PM  
Blogger ginabina said...

YES, YES, YES! I agree, Mel!

If you add toffee, it's no longer an everyday cookie.

Rice Krispies Treats can pass if they are dyed green with food coloring and you plop them, decorating them with "red hot" candies...then they transcend the simple Rice Krispie treat to become:

Christmas wreaths!

And for the every day cookies...we don't just keep chips on hand, we keep the dough in the freezer for *emergencies*!

2:47 AM  
Blogger Dora said...

I agree that choc chip cookies don't qualify for Christmas cookies. I also agree that, unless the bride and groom have requested jeans attire that it is not appropriate to wear jeans to a wedding.....but what do I know, LOL.

3:01 AM  
Blogger ilovecheese said...

I.love.Choco.chip.cookies!! But not as much as cheese-but then cookies are welcome anytime. Weddings are always a good time to dress up to the hilt! Especially here in India that is the best occassion girls have to look their best and have a ball! Mel, thanks for your kind thoughts..

6:38 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

You give me your address and I promise I will sway you...or rock you...or something. My CC cookies are seriously the best ever. (I do see your point about the Christmassy-ness, but I brought joy to a lot of people with those chocolate chips. Just think of them as pressed black jeans with a crease down the front, worn with a really nice tuxedo jacket.)

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares