Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The Moon and Reality Television

The moon followed me home tonight, one of those full moons like a flashlight full of new batteries shining in your face. I came home with tears brimming in my eyes and a need to blow my nose because I saw one of those amazing, inspirational movies. Tonight it was "Cinderella Man." I laughed, I cried, and I thought how great Renee Zellweger looks on film compared to how squinty-eyed she looks on late night talk shows. When I ducked out of the theater, I said to myself, "Great movie."

And, as so often happens, after seeing a movie or reading a book, I am inspired to write, but alas, it's past 11:00 p.m. already and tomorrow morning is our fourth day of Vacation Bible School. The "Watering Hole" Station Leader asked me if I would be directing the VBS next year and I paused, but she didn't really wait for an answer. She just told me that she'd be willing to work with me--no one else--and that if I'd do it, she'd do it and meanwhile, she'd be keeping an eye out for quarter-cup measuring cups because they'd come in handy for almost every day of snack-making.

The weird thing is that this year of running VBS seemed so easy that I will probably do it again next year. I have the most amazing volunteers who agree to work with me year after year, and kids who return each year and I am so good with running a program behind the scenes--why pretend otherwise--that I may as well do it. (I know, Cuppa thinks I need to take a "dirt" year (one in which I say "no" to everything). Maybe she's right, but running VBS is almost as simple as breathing for me.

Or maybe I have actually gone insane.

As I was saying, tomorrow I have another day of Vacation Bible School. My husband has been staying home with Babygirl and DaycareKid. They aren't quite old enough to participate. Each day, he loads the dishwasher while I'm gone. He's going away on church business (despite his sabbatical, he still needs to attend this annual meeting) on Friday night. He'll be gone for about a week. That's one reason I went to the movie tonight--when he's gone, I'll be shackled to my home, just like Martha Stewart is shackled to hers, only my estate is somewhat less luxurious than hers, plus her ankle monitor can be removed and my four children cannot.

By the way, does anyone else get emails purporting to be from television networks who are recruiting families to appear on reality shows? I would never appear on a reality show. Unless a lot of money were paid to me. Or a new wardrobe given to me. Or the possibility of a tummy tuck were offered.

I'm just saying.

(I'm kidding, people! Me? Reality t.v.? Uh, no. Though I did once appear on a television show produced by Jim and Tammy Faye "You're on the Brink of a Miracle" Bakker when I was an intern. I was just in the audience, though, sitting directly behind the man who would become my husband and his then-girlfriend, a blond Texan who'd been a cheerleader and who is now a flight attendant.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

OK girl, you are funny! And fellow VBS coordinators, UNITE! This was my first year and I'm ever-so-glad that I will be doing every other year with another gal. If VBS is as easy as breathing for you, then by all means, DO IT! I find it rewarding, but it takes me a whole week to recover.

btw I came here from Beth's blog. Have a great week!

4:40 AM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

I'm the same way - every time I come home from a good movie or play or concert, I want to write.

But that's where our similarities end (at least where this post is concerned). I did one day as summer relief Children's Ministry leader, and that one day was ENOUGH! As a parent, I am eternally grateful that there are OTHER people who are gifted to lead/inspire/teach my children (at least where Sunday School and VBS are concerned).

6:02 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Hey There!
Just visiting from Rosie's blog. We just got done with VBS here too! My hubby was in the drama - I led a crew of kids - while my 4 year old was in a crew and my 2 year old was in childcare. What VBS did you do? We did Serengeti Trek by Groups.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You do like going to movies on your own, don't you? Never heard of that one, but it doesn't matter because it will probably never get here to our smallish city.

6:56 AM  
Blogger tlawwife said...

Totally agree on the Renee Zellweger side. My daughter the theater major and I agree that she is a great actress because she can pull off the roles but looks so different on Jay Leno.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Saw the same moon... all the way over here on the East Coast.. it's cool to know that my friends in Brazil saw it too...

Also saw Cinderella Man and loved it. Can't understand why it was panned by the critics...

8:39 AM  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Do it Mel, take your "dirt year". Try it for just one year. Say "NO"!!!!

1:13 PM  
Blogger KGrams said...

Isn't it amazing that just when you least expect it, you find all that hard work and prep wasn't so bad after all and you actually start considering doing the same thing over again.

Thank you for not letting me be out there alone crying at movies. I actually cried a few weeks ago reading a book.

Reality TV huh... They haven't contacted me, but the tummy tuck or lipo might just be tempting. LOL

8:59 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

I might go on a show like a home makeover show, but I don't think anything about my personal life would be remotely interesting enough.

I did, however, get an email informing me that I had won the British lottery.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Mel,
If you have a gift, use it, unless you're burning out. This is a good investment of your time.
Our son's speech therapist has a child with cystic fibrosis, a child with autism, and a "typical" child. She is running her fourth year of VBS at their Methodist church this week. She said the key is to have a good team working with you. She is an amazing person--and people are probably saying that about you.

Re the toenail thing, I am lucky to get mine trimmed. I confess.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares