Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Vacation News and Pictures, too

The sun shines here in the Pacific Northwest and the temperature hovers around seventy degrees. Babygirl naps upstairs while I savor the silence of my own slightly shabby house. I've already called my husband in Texas once today to gloat that I hadn't stepped outside and begun to sweat, as I did the entire two and a half weeks I was gone to the edge of hell warmer regions of the United States.

I have a few pictures, just to prove what a happy vacation we had. Take a look at this, for instance: That was YoungestBoy's first encounter with Mickey while we were dying from heatstroke enjoying our day at Disney MGM. He began a collection of Disney character autographs, beginning with Mickey.

Meanwhile, the twins were fanning themselves and complaining about the temperatures and begging me to slow down. I, however, had a plan and my plan did not include lollygagging under shade trees. My plan was foiled by the heat and uncooperative children, though I did usher them through the main must-see attractions, including the "Tower of Terror" and "Rock'n Roller Coaster," as seen here: (Click on that picture and you can see their faces better.) The twins hated the "Tower of Terror" and "Rock'n Roller Coaster," and refused to go on other attractions that sounded scary. YoungestBoy, however, gleefully rode every attraction--though "It's a Bug's Life" terrified him. (Go figure that a 3D movie featuring cartoon bugs would scare him.)

Our strategy in the theme parks included rising early and then following the suggested touring plans in "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2005." My husband strolled Babygirl around when we went into an attraction not appropriate for her while I stayed with the boys, for the most part. This worked faily well, though one day we were separated and I couldn't hear him calling me repeatedly on my cell phone, leading him to extreme frustration. But try it. Go to a theme park and see if you can hear your cell phone ringing in your pocket.

We loved our hotel ("The Beach Club") and the pool there. We had a great time in the parks. But I would never go again in July, as it was eight billion degrees ninety-five (the heat index, I heard, was 106 degrees one day), and unfit for human survival. We managed to avoid sunburns and got hardly any bug bites. We didn't have enough time, really, to see everything, nor enough stamina (due to the heat).

All in all, I'd say it was a successful trip (I can't bring myself to call it a "vacation," because that word would imply some rest and relaxation, which this was not about). And, as Dorothy would say, "there's no place like home." I'm glad to be here.

(Oh, by the way, if you hear that we are coming to your area, you should be very afraid. Wherever we go, extreme weather conditions occur. For instance, in Texas, they just had their driest June ever. In Florida, they just had one of the earliest severe hurricanes ever. And our church congregation should be doubly afraid because whenever my husband leaves town, someone dies. This time, a seemingly healthy, though elderly woman was discovered sitting in her chair, waiting for her hair appointment. Deceased. My husband offered to fly home for the funeral, but thankfully, those left in charge were able to handle everything. As I said, beware whenever you see us come or watch us go.)

Oh, and one last picture. Here is Babygirl, standing a safe distance from Piglet:

8 Comments:

Blogger Shelly said...

Great photos Mel. Please don't come to Virginia...;). Put the cell phone on vibrate mode next time...we had the same problem recently at Busch Gardens.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Smoov said...

I LOVE the picture on the roller coaster, priceless!

6:49 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Ah Mel, glad to have you back.

That picture of the twins, I just had to laugh at the expressions on their faces.

Ugh, I can't imagine having to slog through that kind of heat and humidity. What a bunch of troopers!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I don't think there is such a thing as a safe distance to stand from Piglet.

Despite Sal's disinvitation, you're welcome in Virginia any time. Our weather is regularly odd enough to handle you.

Who is the person in red on the coaster with your boys?

wb Mel. Glad you survived. :)

Suzanne

4:36 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

As a native Floridian, I could have told you that Florida in July is a big mistake. My husband has a rule: we do nothing outside from Easter to Thanksgiving. Our favorite time to visit theme parks is December/January. I'm glad ya'll made it home in one piece. Thanks for the hilarious post. You brightened up my morning.

7:35 AM  
Blogger KGrams said...

Despite the heat, it looks like you had a great time! I will give you a bit of advice, you don't want to come to Missouri from July to Sept either... the heat and humidity here will make a person droop before they make it from their front door to their car.

Welcome back!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Kendra said...

It's already so hot and dry in NC, we wouldn't even notice any change you may bring to the weather!

I'm glad you survived your trip, and even more glad that you are back online. We've missed you!

10:39 AM  
Blogger tab said...

welcome home. My neighbors little grandkids (2&4) took him to the zoo for father's day. It was beyond hot that day and I doubt he's much of a fan of the zoo anyway (lives on a farm). He said that was the most miserable day he's ever had! But he went thru it anyways--the grandkids had a blast and thought it was a GREAT present.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares