Monday, June 13, 2005

Stayin' Alive

When I woke this morning, I felt a footstep further away from death. Until that moment, I was tiptoeing towards death. Today was better, not great, but better. Tonight, however, every time I cough, my temples throb with pain. And I can barely type due to a pool injury. Last night, Babygirl wanted to go to the bathroom at the pool. (I have to admit that the very first day at the pool, I suggested to her that she pee in the pool. She's tiny. She has a small bladder. The pool is large and full of chemicals. Urine is sterile.)

She would have none of that. Some days, we traipse around the pool and into the slickly tiled bathroom and tug down her swimsuit repeatedly. Five or six times we do this, but yet, no output. Last night, the toilet seat was wet. I reached into the toilet paper dispenser to get a wad to wipe the seat. I recoiled in pain--something sharp sliced a quarter inch wound on the tip of my finger. (Oh, and Babygirl didn't bother to actually pee after my Incident.)

It bled and bled. Today it doesn't bleed, but it hurts, especially when I type. The pain distracts me from my headache. It turns out that you use the letters "D" and "E" with painful frequency when typing in English.

Tomorrow is the last day of school. YoungestBoy only has a half-day. I asked him, "What do you think we should get your teacher?" I suggested a gift card to a bookstore. (That's what I'd like.) He said, "No, I want to get her something pretty." I said, "Like what?" He ran across the room and pointed to my Spode Christmas Tree pattern cookie jar in the china hutch. "Like that!" he said.

I love that this kid has such a definite mind of his own. I found a little ceramic thing at Hallmark--I can't really describe it, but it's a kind of pretty bank for adults. He thinks it's pretty. (It cost $2.95 on sale!) I added a set of fragrant candles and a card.

And so ends another school year. Summer will come and go in a flash and hopefully, by then, I'll be able to breathe through my nose again.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrim said...

I know what you mean about staying w/relatives. I try to stay in a hotel, when we can. It's just easier than trying to explain why you have to do things a certain way for your child's comfort or your own sanity.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Crankenpants said...

My Grandparents are like that with the church thing. If the doors are open you should be there. And isn't it always the churches with the hour and a half services? Hope you feel better.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Christi said...

I think it's odd that the other day Hillary continually had ? in the place of '. Now Elizabeth does...Hmmmm...

Have fun on your trip!

What on earth sliced open your finger?

8:45 AM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

I hope you get to feeling better soon!

9:43 AM  
Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

Soooo... lemme get this straight... Your husband -- the pastor -- manages to break away from his responsiblities (and we KNOW how busy he usually is) long enough take a once-in-a-decade trip back to Houston.... his father, sister and stepmother have NEVER seen his two younger children.... he's a pastor who has taken a vacation from his church (that's so significant in this scenario, I thought I'd mention it twice).... and his family can't foresake an event that happens annually in order to spend time with him... and his wife (that's you, Mel)... and the twins they haven't seen since they were navel-high... and the two children they've never seen.

Did I get that right? Because if I did, I may need to fly to Houston, sit some folks down and 'splain how this family thing oughta work.

~CA~

1:28 PM  
Blogger M3 said...

Ok, first: hope you're better real soon. Dang!

Second: Spode? That boy has refined taste.

Third: When you get to Houston, head straight for Goode Company Barbeque. It's on Kirby Drive. Good luck with the absentee relatives. I'd console myself with some nice brisket. Mmmmmmm....

10:45 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Um...I want to know how you are going to explain this to your kids!

My MIL missed my oldest son's baptism because she had to wash her hair. Yes. Wash her hair. So, she sent him a card with twenty bucks in it.

Suddenly, my other two kids had religious experiences and also wanted to be baptized.

I'm at church everytime the doors are open, only because I am the one who opens the doors. (i see a pattern...i'm also at the fridge everytime that door is open too...)

Mel. This is REALLY REALLY weird.

I hurt for you. But, I'm also happy for you, as it seems like it will be more fun without them!

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares