Sunday, May 01, 2005

Weekend Update Featuring Reading List

I'd like to write something profound, words strung together that twinkle together like Christmas lights on a dark night.

But I can't because I have to catch up on my school-at-home paperwork. I have a terrible case of senioritis, only I'm not a senior and this isn't my last semester. I can barely drag myself through the motions of quizzing my boys on their spelling words and encouraging them to complete their history lessons. School here ends about mid-June, so I just have to hang on a little longer. And I promised to finish those records tomorrow for my "mentor teacher."

The curtain falls on another weekend in which my husband worked a fifteen hour day on Saturday and then preached Sunday morning, attended a meeting and then napped the afternoon away while I busied myself cleaning and decluttering and being snippy with Babygirl who was on my heels all afternoon, slowing me down. I bought a big computer desk at a garage sale for twenty bucks, so I'm transferring all the boys' school books and materials to the shelves built into this desk. But no one really cares that I am sequential and that interruptions drive me to the brink. Especially Babygirl.

At 7:00 p.m., I quickly exited my house. I thought I'd figure out my destination as I drove . . . but as usual, I had no place to go. I'm telling you, I need that apartment. In fact, the commenters on this blog tell me they need an apartment, too, so I think an apartment complex for moms, a "Momplex," is an excellent, possibly copyrightable idea. Who's in?

Meanwhile, here is a list of the books I've recently read:

The Kite Runner;
Pride and Prejudice;
Deception Pass; and
One for the Money.

Next up: Jayber Crow, by Wendell Berry, which comes highly recommended.

But first, I have to finish those stupid attendance records.

6 Comments:

Blogger Trish said...

We've discussed this, but count me IN. But to take it a step further, I think the Momplex should be like Brigadoon, appearing only when we need it. That way only Moms can get there and there's no chance of anyone else ever finding it :)

4:26 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

". . . no one really cares that I am sequential and that interruptions drive me to the brink."

Neither do they understand this! My husband can't comprehend why I'm a little snippy by the time he gets home because (1) he doesn't have interuptions every 3 minutes and (2) he is enshrouded with a magical bubble that bounces interuptions into the upper atmosphere so that he never hears them.

As for me, I don't know if I'll ever be able to think for long periods again. My children are breaking me down into little 3-minute pieces!

Hey! I bet that's why they invented 3-minute oatmeal!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Is that why I enjoy playing the piano so much? If I follow all the 'rules' it all works out as it should.

In my life, not so much.

Wendell Berry...my sons and nephew LOVE him. I actually have a book of his right in front of me now.

I think I might turn my big old house into a 'bed and breakfast' for frazzled mothers.

Somewhere to go where warm muffins are made for YOU. The linens are cleaned by SOMEONE ELSE. The only interuption is to eat ICE CREAM, and the only chin you need wipe it off of is YOUR OWN.

I just may have to advertize for this on my blog.

8:20 AM  
Blogger mrsd said...

JudyH, you've just hit on a marketing boon~! It would be an instant success. Only problem is, you'll have to keep the rates fairly reasonable. Most moms don't get paid very well... :)

But no one really cares that I am sequential and that interruptions drive me to the brink.

I'm the same way! And I get frustrated at times and just stop. It's not because I want to live in chaos. It's because with all the stops and gos, I'm wasting mental energy.

I'm so going to start explaining to my kids that I'm sequential, along with slightly insane. So don't mess with me. :D

9:08 AM  
Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

Momplex? Momplex... oh, my... I like it. I like it a lot. And, and, and... can we make it so when we clean the apartments, then leave them, they look exactly the same when we come back? Can we, Mel? (I'm feeling dizzy... I think I'm hyperventilating.)

Momplex. It is so simple.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in. I'm in. I'm in. I'm soooooooooooooooooo in. Please let me know how much it will cost to join... perhaps it can be done on a sliding fee scale and we can use child slave labor for the clean linens and the baking... or hubby slave labor. What do you guys think?

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares