Saturday, April 23, 2005

Rainy Saturday and Car Keys

Last week, when it became apparent that my husband wouldn't be able to go away for his four-day weekend trip, I suggested he go to Portland to visit a friend after the funeral. We used to live near Portland and retain a few friends, a taste for Buster's Bar-B-Q and a love for Portland bookstores (Powell's and Pilgrim Books--I think that's what it's called).

So this afternoon, after he took YoungestBoy to his first baseball game of the season, off he went, driving a borrowed Lexus. (Our regular cars are unreliable to drive so far, he thinks. He is Mr. Caution.) He told me his cell phone battery was low, so he'd have it off, but that he'd call me when he arrived. It's only a two or three hour drive. I hugged him and sent him off, told him to take his time, stay as long as he wanted. He needs a break, even a short one.

An hour or so after he left, I relented and agreed to take my kids to Target so they could spend the money that has sizzled holes right through their pockets. Because my husband had borrowed the Lexus, he'd parked our old Mercury Sable behind our old Chevy Astro van.

And then, he took the set of Mercury Sable car keys with him.

I often accuse him of forgetting to hang up the keys on the fridge, but I almost always have to apologize later when I find the keys in my purse or my pocket. This time, I said to YoungestBoy, "Hey, what car did you and Dad ride in when you went to your game?" He said, "The blue car."

So I had not driven it last. That meant he did not hang up the keys on the fridge.

For one dismal moment, I imagined myself in my house with my four kids for thirty-six straight hours. It's not the imprisonment that scares me, but the idea of it. There are many days I don't leave the house, but I could if I wanted.

I called his cell phone, but it was off. Then I remembered the second Mercury Sable car key we have, the one which can't hang because the black plastic part that encased it broke off. I ran upstairs to check his dresser drawer. Ten thousand pennies, but no key. I returned to the kitchen, dumped the striped junk jar I keep on the kitchen windowsill and there, amidst the nails and Barbie shoes and marbles and chains, I found the key.

So, we went to Target and GameCrazy, too. The boys are all happy. Babygirl picked out bathtub toys and cookies. We bought a take-and-bake pizza and returned home.

When he called, I told him I was cursing his name earlier and he confessed that he had the key. No harm done, I said. Have fun!

The twins are watching television, Babygirl is playing on the computer and YoungestBoy is playing Nintendo. The Brio train tracks are scattered on the floor, the laundry basket holds now-wrinkled clothes, and the leftover pizza is cold on the counter. Tomorrow, we are playing hooky from church (my husband suggested it).

And that's my rainy Saturday report.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

I am SO tired, I want to skip church tomorrow, too. However, I had a baby shower today, and the only people who showed up were my church friends. Sooo...I feel kinda obligated. I'm glad your hubby is getting to hang out with old friends. It's better than nothing, I guess.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

Do I know how you feel. Theres nothing worse than being involuntarily confined to ones house! I also know the frantic search for keys! So been there. my friend.

10:19 AM  
Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

I soooo understand your momentary desperation. It's not the habitat. You created that habitat. It's everything you love. You crave it. It nurtures and protects you. But you installed that front door -- the one that locks from INSIDE -- for a darn good reason, by golly!

~CA~

11:30 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

How shocking when the Pastor himself suggests playing hooky...;)

My husband never has his cell phone on either...battery or no battery. He has it to MAKE calls, it never enters his mind that someone may need to call him.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares