Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Doing My Civic Duty

Last night, I missed "24," the television show. You know the one, where Jack Bauer saves the world every single week, practially single-handedly. I love that show. My husband jokes with me about my love for Keifer Sutherland, but really, it's not that. I'm just hooked on the drama of Jack Bauer's indestructibility and the outlandish situations that occur one after the other, stacked up like an evil set of dominoes just waiting to be tipped.

Oh, so where was I instead? What could be more important than my must-see t.v.?

I was at a city council meeting. I'd never been before, so I had no idea that a meeting which started at 7:00 p.m. would drag on and on and on past 10:30 p.m. (If I'd known, I would have set the VCR!) One of the issues they were discussing is of great interest to me, so much so that I attended a town hall meeting a month or so ago. Then I wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper, which was published in the Sunday edition. Last week, I noticed another letter on the opinion page which referred to an article that mentioned the town hall meeting.

I missed the article when it appeared, so I quickly got on-line, pulled up the article and grew so annoyed and irate that I immediately emailed the reporter (and his boss, the newspaper editor) to complain about his characterization of the meeting. Oh no, you don't want to mess with Mel, but apparently the reporter hadn't gotten that memo. He dared to email me back and argued with me. We exchanged several emails and then *poof* he disappeared in a black cloud of internet silence. I win.

The following Sunday, the editor of the paper issued an apology with regards to that article, specifically the way the reporter described the meeting. (Let's just say he made it sound like a mob scene and it was as peaceful and calm as a public meeting could possibly be.)

Score one for Mel!

I emailed the editor and thanked him for his apology and he emailed back and admitted that they got it wrong.

Well.

So, last night, I was at the city council meeting where they were discussing this issue that concerns me. They dealt with other city business until 8:30 p.m., at which point I thought, I'm going to miss "24." I shall have to leave early. I kept promising myself that I'd leave, but the meeting featured some high drama, some outright rudeness, some pointed questions and I couldn't tear myself away, even though my contacts were dry and sticking to my eyes and I'd been awake for seventeen hours by then.

Will these efforts make a difference in the outcome? Who knows? I hope I didn't miss an episode of "24" for nothing. And they haven't heard the last from me, that's for sure.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rodney Olsen said...

I don't think I've ever seen a full episode of 24, but your description of why you like the show ....

"I'm just hooked on the drama of Jack Bauer's indestructibility and the outlandish situations that occur one after the other, stacked up like an evil set of dominoes just waiting to be tipped."

.... makes it sound like a modern day McGuyver. :)

11:42 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

I too have never watched 24. I couldn't even tell you who the actors are. Now speak to me of reality television and I can tell you all! LOl

7:32 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I'm no fan of 24, but I'd really like to know what burning issue has you so worked up.

Won't you share? Please?

8:14 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

Good morning Mel.
Way to go getting involved in town counsel! You inspire me.

I've never seen the show "24." What station does it play on?

8:46 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Mel I missed 24 on Monday also. I don't suppose you know anyone that taped it and could get me a copy of it... I have to have my 24 fix.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Carla Rolfe said...

I had to laugh when I read this. I thought "oh no, she missed 24!?"

Good guys win, bad guys go to jail (or get blown up, either way). What's not to love?

:-)

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares