Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Speaking Too Soon

Yesterday, Babygirl boycotted naptime. Oh, she rolled around on the bed next to me and claimed the best pillow for herself, but she did not sleep. I teetered on the edge of consciousness, rousing periodically to find her still chanting or wiggling or singing. And then after an hour and twenty minutes of this, the clock said 2:18 and I leapt from the bed and told her I needed to check on the boys. As I exited the room, I heard CuteBaby's cries from the crib. He was awake. So much for my lunch.

Babygirl did not stay in bed, but called down from the top of the stairs a few moments later, "I had a good sleep!" She emphasized this lie by rubbing her eyes.

Hours later, I thought to myself, she's doing really well. . . no fits at all this time. The last time she missed a nap, she disintegrated into a physically fit bundle of fury, stomping her feet, refusing to answer any questions, screaming while drool trickled down her belly.

I should know better than to even think such thoughts, because moments later, she threw a doozy of a tantrum. Right before bedtime, she followed up her earlier effort with a prize-winning shriek of irrationality, complete with tears, snot and saliva.

You'd think I'd learn.

This morning, I luxuriated in a day filled with fewer responsibilities. It's Spring Break, so we aren't doing schoolwork. CuteBaby won't arrive until after lunch, so I cleaned off my desk and enjoyed catching up on some reading. If my body can't be on vacation, at least my mind can.

And then--HOW CAN THIS KEEP HAPPENING?--TwinBoyA opened the door and said, "Hey, why is there water all over the floor?" So much for peace and tranquility. The washing machine strikes again, wriggling the hose loose from its mooring.

On the bright side, the boys rushed to find all the towels in the house. What teamwork! What an exciting adventure! An indoor pond! I worked up a good sweat dragging soppy towels over the floor with my foot and into the stupid washing machine. Only three unexpected loads of towels for today.

I wedged the washing machine firmly against the utility sink. I can only hope that this water-filled disaster does not happen again. But as surely as a two-year old throws fits, my washing machine hose will come loose again. And it will happen when I am least expecting it, basking in the uncharacteristic glow of optimism. I should know better.

5 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

I am feeling totally bad for you right now. I get so excited when I can just have a few minutes to chill. My hubby is off today, and I was thinking, for some dumb reason, that I would get to take the day off! Ha ha ha! He did let me sleep in, though. I should count my blessings. My son loves to avoid naps. I love the part about the good sleep! That sounds like something my son would do!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Are all the two year olds staging a rebellion?

No nap for Mr. Personality today either, and a semi-meltdown after being told that Mom had to go inside and make dinner.

I feel your pain.

Are there water problems for everyone in the air as well? You and Suzanne both.

I'm sorry that today was rough, hopefully it will be a TGIF kind of day tomorrow!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

Oh NO!!! Not that darn washer again, Mel! Shoot, can you get rid of it?

I had my little guy (age 7) up later than usual last night. We were outside walking around. It was so nice out. But, it was past his bedtime... and he just started to come undone!

They just need their rest! (they just don't know it!)

10:28 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Ah, but just think of how CLEAN the floor now is!

Sign me...
Little Suzi Sunshine

8:51 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

But are there pollywogs in an indoor pond?

You know, my two year old is going through the worst tantrum phase of her life. I was so silly to make a few references to the ease of raising her...

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares