Saturday, March 26, 2005

My $1.87 Bargain

At Target this afternoon, my shopping cart kept getting log-jammed by inconsiderate shoppers who clogged the aisles. So many people were crowded into the Easter candy section, bunched together like platelets that I, the red-blood cell, could not push my way past them, so I kept backing my shopping cart up and circumventing the clot.

I found a rectangular block which will allow me to buff my own fingernails. It cost $1.87. I felt so smug, so vindicated when I purchased it and shined my own thumbnail.

I am the Queen of Bargains. Really. I've never been one of those women who can buy two grocery carts full of food and pays with $2.32 and ten thousand coupons, but I do know my way around a thrift store and the Marshall's clearance racks. Tomorrow, Easter Day will find us clothed head-to-toe in bargain apparel. The beauty of it is that no one will know that my twin sons' brand new Ralph Lauren striped polo shirts cost $3.00 and $5.00 each. I splurged on YoungestBoy's shockingly bright yellow Gap shirt ($12 on sale), but I found a pair of Gap khakis at Value Village for only $2.99. The twins will wear new jeans from Nordstrom ($11.00 each).

I'll be wearing a lilac silk frock ($40--original $159.00 tag still on it) and Ralph Lauren patent leather pumps ($18.00). Babygirl's hot pink linen dress with its white Peter Pan collar and belt cost $3.50 at Value Village.

The challenge tomorrow will be to say "thank you" when people comment on our appearance. What I want to say is, "Three-fifty, Value Village," when the Church Ladies compliment Babygirl's dress.

The most holy of all Christian holidays will find me in the church nursery tomorrow, hobbling on my spiked heels. It's my day to be the official volunteer attendant, so I'll be watching over fifteen to twenty little ones dressed in their Easter finery. After church, I'll create a fancy dinner just for us. My husband will nap with Babygirl and the children will nibble at their solid chocolate Easter bunnies. The mundane mingles with the breathtaking memory of that morning so long ago when the woman crept to the tomb, only to find it empty.

Tomorrow, serving is my spiritual worship, and I will do so with the full awareness of my risen Savior, even though I am so easily distracted. I will not complain (as usual), but I will remember that Jesus paid full price when He paid the ransom for me. I will miss singing hymns and hearing the choral arrangments during the worship service, but my service in the nursery and in the kitchen will be my personal worship service, a celebration of Life's triumph over death and the grave.

Rejoice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather Plett said...

BARGAINS RULE! (says the woman who's proudly wearing the lovely mint green sweater she bought for $2 at the thrift store)

Cudos to you for serving in the nursery. Every time I drop off my daughter, I thank God that there are wonderful people willing to care for her while I worship. I often feel a little guilty about not offering to do the same, but I have enough trouble being patient with my OWN children, let alone someone else's! (And I use the excuse that I'm using my spiritual gifts elsewhere :-)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Christi said...

I get so excited when I find a good bargain! I'm so happy for you! It feels like a great accomplishment to find something great and not spend money on it.

Didn't you say that you do at-home work before?

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares