Wednesday, March 16, 2005

One of Hundreds of Questions

As we dropped off his brothers at church for youth group at 6:11 p.m., 7 year old YoungestBoy, remembered that a magician would be performing at his school at 7:00 p.m.

I quickly adjusted my plans and YoungestBoy and I dropped off video games at the rental store, made a quick stop at Target for diapers and microwave popcorn (the essentials). As we shopped, YoungestBoy peppered me with one question after the next. He noted, "Mom, I have hundreds of questions in my mind." As the owner of an already cluttered mind, I find this terribly distracting, yet I play along.

We dropped the diapers off and arrived at the school in the nick of time. The magician did a great job of handling the rowdy little crowd of kids. YoungestBoy was picked to be a helper and not only did he grin at the crowd, but he played along with the magician, exaggerating surprise at the way the magician created a peanut butter and jelly sandwich even though the jars were set on tables six feet apart. (It's complicated. Just trust me on that one.) YoungestBoy is a born performer. He relishes being on stage. I'm a little scared. (But then again, maybe someday he will be able to afford to buy me a house with a pantry.)

Here is the only question I can remember out of the non-stop barrage of curiosity flowing from his brain: "Mom, would you rather lick a slug or touch a great white shark?"

That's easy. I'd touch a shark any day. Under no conditions would I ever lick a slug. At least I have some answers to some of the questions. That's a good start.

5 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Too funny, Mel! Now, I must ask, which would HE rather do?

I once had a kindergartener in Sunday School ask me 'if you have Jesus in your heart, can He smell the busters?'

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I believe would pick petting a shark over licking a slug too... Has your son been watching Fear Factor per chance?

8:41 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I choose the shark too!

My nine year old gets in question mode too. I think her brain is busy around the clock. Just like I had to with her siblings, sometimes I ban all "what if" questions.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

Oh the shark anyday! Kids. Their questions get so tiring and yet, what would we do if they didn't ask? Something would be terribly wrong and then we'd be sad. So I guess I need to have more patience with my four year old! At least he has a brain.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

Okay, now let me get this straight...They start the questioning around 3 or 4...and they don't stop by 7!???

It's gonna be a LONG ride, isn't it?

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares