Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Weird Symptoms

My 7-year old boy has a mysterious illness. When he came through the door Monday after school, his face was flushed. I said, "Are you feeling all right?" and he said he did, but later, he complained that his eyes hurt, his legs hurt, his waist hurt.

I have a cold myself, as does Babygirl, but YoungestBoy gave it to us. This appears to be something new. So I kept him home from school yesterday. We hardly knew he was here--he quietly rested and played, though at one point, he did join us circling the block on his bicycle.

This morning, he came downstairs, cheeks unusually pink and when I asked, "How are you feeling today?" he said, "Well, my ankle hurts." A bit later, when I asked again, he informed me, "My thumbs are smooth."

I gave him some ibuprofen (I'm not sure it cures smooth thumbs, though) and plan to send him to school for at least half a day. He excels in school, but maybe he's just trying to get out of going? Then again, he has those pink cheeks.

The mysteries of childhood lead to dilemmas for mothers. To send or not to send? That is the question.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

At first I thought you were kidding, b/c it sounded like the way my kid does when he plays outside or runs around for a while. I thought you were going to make some smart comment like he finally exercised or something. Since you're not, I'm baffled. What exactly could solve the problem of smooth thumbs? Do you ever watch the show House on Fox? If not, perhaps you should. They cover all kinds of mysterious diseases, and maybe it will be on there one day.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Thanks for stopping by my site! I'm running out the door now...but I look forward to catching up on your site!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Kyndal said...

First, let me tell you that I love reading your blog. I try to stop by and read it everyday. Second, I'm not a doctor or anything, but maybe your son has Fifth's disease. It is the pink, flushed cheeks that make me think this is what it could be. Both of my kids have had it and as a former school teacher, we used to see it quite a bit. You can read more here. http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/fifth.html

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares