Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Snapshots Out of Focus

Sometimes, you just want to remember a moment. If you are lucky, you'll have a snapshot as a souvenir. I have these words, which I line up here, neat and tidy, to remind me of life this week.

First, you must know that my husband believes in treating a cough with something, anything. (I don't treat coughs as I've read repeatedly that there is no point and coughs are good, productive, etc., etc.) He heard not long ago that honey works as well as cough syrup. We've had another cold here which features a lot of phlegmy coughing. My husband was so proud of himself the other day--("I could totally be a stay-at-home dad," he said to me when I walked into the kitchen. I responded as a good, wise wife and I didn't even roll my eyes at him, because he would be a good stay-at-home dad, but he underestimates the rigors of a solitary life taking care of miniature human beings)--anyway, he'd given Babygirl a spoonful of honey to combat her cough. He felt triumphant, giddy with his achievement.

Later in the day, Babygirl sat on the couch. Cough cough cough cough cough cough cough. Then she said, to no one in particular: "I don't need honey."

One morning this week, Babygirl stood on my bathroom counter, harassing watching me get ready. Her pink long-john style pajamas kept slipping over her shoulder and I had a flashback to Flashdance.

YoungestBoy has announced that when he grows up, he will have two children. They will be named "Ray-Ray" and "Yo," because those are "cool names," he says. This is a boy who named his (girl) cat "Roy."

That's all. I told you . . . it wasn't a carefully composed shot, sharply focused, telling a story. Just a few blurry pictures, but enough to help me remember.

3 Comments:

Blogger M3 said...

That Babygirl is a smart cookie (not sure exactly what that means but my dad used to say it to me and I know it's good.) Love your blog. Take care.

http://emthree.blogspot.com

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes these little snippets are all we need to go back and recall what otherwise would be a long forgotten memory. I remember so many times thinking, "i will never forget this moment," when my oldest was a baby. The funny thing is... all I remember is thinking that... not what I was thinking it about. So much for always remembering it huh? and since our blogs are for ourselves, why not commit these snippets to them every once in a while?

2:32 PM  
Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

Gee, now, I'm kind of wishing I planned on having more children, so I could name them Ray-Ray and Yo. The cool thing about those names is, they'd work for either gender, depending on how you spelled them.

I just love the fact that YB is planning on having two children, while BG is clearly on the path of a career in medicine as she is already self-diagnosing.

Bravo, Mommy Mel... Job well done.

~C~

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares