Monday, May 16, 2005

Salamander in Her Pocket

Despite a rotten night of restless sleep, I met my friend for our morning walk at 5:30 a.m. I kind of wish it were still pitch black at that hour of the morning so no one could see how rumpled and bleary I am that early in the morning. How does my friend appear so fresh and with such smooth hair?

A drizzle fell on us, the exact kind of rain which characterizes our region and causes transplanted people from sunny states to curse and then forsake my Evergreen State. We chatted as we hurried along. I looked at the ground to avoid stepping on slugs and to keep the raindrops from falling into my eyes.

Right in the road, I spotted a lizard-like creature. "Look!" I said. She leaned over and peered at it, then said, "Cool!" and picked it up by its tail.


Not Actual Salamander Posted by Hello

She cupped the salamander in her hand said, "You can give it to [YoungestBoy]." She knows how much he loves animals. Then she zipped it into her pocket.

"I hope you don't forget that thing in there."

And on we walked, stepping carefully around the baby slugs which are growing larger each day.


Slimy Example of Full-Grown Slugs Posted by Hello

I worried in silence about that salamander. Would she expect me to transfer it to my pocket? What do salamanders eat? Could it live in a jar temporarily?

When we approached her house and my car, I remembered the salamander.

She did not and I didn't say a word.

Call me squeamish, but I just didn't want a slimy pocket pet, even for a moment. I'm not a very good Boy-Mom and clearly, I'm an even worse friend.

9 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrim said...

I have seen those banana slugs in Muir Woods, and they are gross! It's like being in another country, out there on the west coast. Nice to visit.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Melodee said...

At least they are quiet, unlike bugs where some people live. ;)

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha Mel... You are hilarious! I wonder if your friend will find the poor thing before it expires. I hope so... that could get a little... ummm... well smelly.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Um...I used to have a pet salamander as a kid (her name was Sally...so original). So...if she gives it back to you tomorrow, they eat worms and bugs and stuff you dig out of the backyard.

I sort of miss old Sally...

12:13 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

Hey dont knock the West coast. Life is good here. Sure it rains a lot but we all have webs between our toes and moss on our backs. It really makes it easy to pick out you foreigners! LOL

7:03 PM  
Blogger One little sheep said...

Very cute. I read about 10 of your entries, they're entertaining/interesting!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That picture of the slugs?

I think I have to go and be sick.

7:49 PM  
Blogger M3 said...

Oh my god -- you left it in her pocket?! I'm caught between a horrified gasp and an unladylike snorting laugh. Maybe you could call her and tell her about it now that she's safely far away from your house?

7:51 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Awww, that picture of the salamander is darling!

The slugs? Ugh. You can keep them on the West Side.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares