Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Longest Walk

Yesterday, Babygirl and I walked around our circle. You'd think that two healthy human beings could cover one-tenth of a mile in a reasonable amount of time, but no. Not when one of those human beings is two and a half. (I asked her, "How old are you?" and she said, without pause, "Twenty.")

Babygirl jogged at first. Then she did a bear-crawl and became distracted by a black ant. We stopped to gaze at the Gnome-Lady's house. She has twenty-seven gnomes strategically placed around her front yard. I convinced Babygirl that the Lady would not want her to walk on the rocks to see the gnomes.

We were nearly half-way around the block. Then came the puddles. Babygirl stooped to look down the storm drain. She jumped in the puddle. Because she is close to the ground, she noticed a ladybug crawling along. I placed the newsletter I carried near the ladybug so the bug would climb onto the paper. I thought we might take the insect home, but it flew away.

A few houses later, Babygirl saw rocks. She stopped and stuffed her shorts pockets full, awkwardly crossing her right arm across her small body to put the rocks into her left pocket.

When we finally reached home nearly an hour later, I emptied ten rocks from her pockets.

As someone said recently, the days are long, but the years are so short. Before I know it, she really will be twenty. I hope we'll still take meandering walks together, even thought she might be wishing we'd go a little quicker and I'll be the one stopping to poke at ladybugs.

9 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

I loved those walks with my baby girls. We went to the woods behind our house and I we always looked for 'Princess Lilliput' under the leaves and rocks. We knew her and her prince were hiding somewhere. *s*

11:13 PM  
Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

I had a walk with my baby girl a few weeks ago... only she's further away from the ladybugs now than I am (she's about an inch taller than I).

The time whisks by. But there is so much to show for it in the end.

~CA~

2:04 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Daughter and I like to walk around a lake at a nearby park. She wants to be an elementary science teacher. We stop and look at everything - especially the giant carp. They were just goldfish when I was a kid. By the time her child is old enough, the carp will probably have grown legs and will walk out of the lake and shake our hands.

I have a hopeful dream of me, my mom, daughter and her child taking that walk together someday. (she says, as she reaches up to remove her green sticker and replace it with a blue one) I'm sure we will look like a demented chorus line as we hop over all of the goose poop on the path.

(i still load my pockets up with rocks)

5:03 AM  
Blogger tab said...

My boys like to take me for a walk...actually they prefer to ride their bikes while I walk--sometimes they stop and pick me wildflowers, look at a bug/bird/critter. It's amazing to see someone get all excited over a little bug!

5:43 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

When I walk these days, I walk with only a dog. They don't have pockets, but can definitely meander like a two-year-old.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Feeble Knees said...

When I was little, I made my mom stop at every single storm drain along our way so I could listen to the echoes of the running water. Sometimes I'd toss small pebbles in there. It was fascinating stuff! I still love storm drains... :)

8:24 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Someone very wise must have made that long days, and short years comment...

You are a great mom to go at BabyGirl pace. Sometimes I feel like I make mine go at my pace all the time. I will have to work on that.

12:09 PM  
Blogger rev-ed said...

My little princess is 3 1/2 and notices most everything... for about 3 1/2 seconds. Then she's off again. So much different than my two boys were.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

You've just put a huge smile on my face.

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares