Sunday, May 22, 2005

It Creeps and Crawls and Lives Indoors Now

I have a single tent caterpillar imprisoned in a plastic cassette case sitting on my desk. My youngest son found this delightful creature in the mud behind the church. Ignoring my protests, he brought it into the car. I am just grateful I found a container for the little creepy crawly.

When I was a girl, I used to collect these leave-munching pests. They would crawl up and down my arms. I've grown sqeamish over the years, though. I can't bear to even touch anything with teeny-tiny suction-cup like feet.

And I don't pull the legs off these anymore, either. (I used to think those were daddy longlegs, but google tells me they are called "harvestmen." My day is complete now that I've learned a practically useless fact.)

3 Comments:

Blogger methatiam said...

We have tarantulas, black widows, scorpions, and Africanized bees.
-Not in the house, mind you, just in general.

Few people ever take any of these home in a little plastic container.

(Though I have known a few).

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

methatiam... I think even as a kid I would have passed on making those creatures pets too.. but I still adore caterpillars.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

When I was a kid I had pet snails off and on. My mother was never that fond of them, but I would watch then for hours.

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares