Friday, December 03, 2004

Great Minds Think Alike (Or Wow, We've Been Married a Long Time)

The other night, my husband and I were watching television together. He was flipping through channels and paused on a public television station to watch John Denver sing. For a second, I forgot that John Denver had died and I thought to myself, I can never get over him divorcing Annie after he wrote that song about her.

And then my husband said out loud, "You know, I can never really forgive him for divorcing Annie. I mean, how do you write a song like that and then divorce her?"

Annie's Song
by John Denver

You fill up my senses
Like a night in a forest
Like the mountains in springtime
Like a walk in the rain
Like a storm in the desert
Like a sleepy blue ocean
You fill up my senses
Come fill me again

Come let me love you
Let me give my life to you
Let me drown in your laughter
Let me die in your arms
Let me lay down beside you
Let me always be with you
Come let me love you
Come love me again

You fill up my senses
Like a night in a forest
Like the mountains in springtime
Like a walk in the rain
Like a storm in the desert
Like a sleepy blue ocean
You fill up my senses
Come fill me again
(The title track from "Back Home Again" (1974).

John Denver was married to Anne in 1967. They had two children, Zachary and Anna Kate, before their divorce in 1983. Sixteen years of marriage. That's practically a lifetime in high-profile marriages, it seems.

For us, it's just the beginning. And I don't care that my husband can't write songs for me, as long as he keeps reading my mind.



1 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

I love John Denver's music and have always thought Annie's Song is the most beautiful, romantic love song ever written. I've wondered too, how a love like that came to die. Sad.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares