Wednesday, November 10, 2004

My Husband's Leaving Me

Well, he's leaving, but he'll be back. He's just going to Minnesota on business for four days. He leaves early in the morning, so on one hand, I'm a little frantic about making preparations. I need to get to Target for laundry detergent and meringue cookies. I'd like to go to the video store to rent DVDs. We probably need more milk.

And I hate to take the children shopping. I can't think while they are careening around the store and bombarding me with questions. And it always costs me more when they come along because I am a pushover in the grocery store.

Anyway.

The irrational thing is that I always imagine I will start and finish some type of enormous project while my husband's away. This time, I've settled on painting. My entryway and hallway need to be painted. Why not paint while I am outnumbered four-to-one by children? Why not paint while I am the sole adult in charge? Why not, indeed?

The only thing standing between me and progress is this little book, The Secret Life of Bees. I'm not sure I can let latex paint and my green, soon-to-be orange-gold, entryway come between me and this fiction.

As for my husband, he'll miss us, about as much as he'd miss having a rock in his shoe.

6 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Hrumph. I don't believe that part about missingness and a rock in his shoe any more than you do.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Smoov said...

How weird....I just started reading the Secret Life of Bees yesterday and can't seem to put it down!
Stacy

7:35 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I just finished The Secret Life of Bees. I really enjoyed it and I think you will too. You know...painting alone with 4 kids is a crazy idea. ;-)

11:10 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I LOVED "The Secret Life of Bees"!

4:17 AM  
Blogger The Narcissist said...

Oh how I love the sweet, lightness of a meringue cookie. What an addictive treat! With that book, those cookies and some rope for the kids, you'll be the one missing him less than a rock. Better yet, play Tom Sawyer and bribe your kids into doing the painting for you while you read and indulge in cookies. I'm sure the walls would turn out smashingly. :)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

I really loved that booK! I loaned it to a friend, and she didn't care for it much. Can I still be friends with her? ;)

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares