Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I'm Scared

Don't Look Now!
I had a seriously frightening thought today. Next month is Christmas. Next month. That's the month right after this one. I'll be hiding behind the powdered sugar.

One Small Political Comment

The election is over and maybe now, I'll go back to seeing commercials for cars I'll never own and tampons that stop leaks in rowboats. My junk mail will be credit card offers and grocery store flyers. When the phone rings, it won't be a pause, click and recorded voice. That in itself is a relief.

What has bugged me in these most recent weeks are the comments by the "other" side which have degenerated into name-calling and seething judgments. I vote Republican because I favor smaller government. I vote Republican because I believe in the protection of human life. Not that it matters, though. I live in a predominantly Democratic state (a "blue" state--our electoral votes went to Kerry). But still. I voted.

Here's the thing, though. I vote for reasons that make rational, logical sense to me. Just because my reasons are different than a Democrat's reasons does not mean I am stupid or naive or blind. For people to suggest that over half of the people in this country are idiotic and short-sighted and ignorant is . . . well, idiotic and short-sighted and ignorant.

Anyway. I love my Democratic friends. I respect their beliefs. I disagree, but we want different things from our government. I would never judge their intelligence by their political belief system, though. That just seems silly.

7 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I was thrilled to see that Hollywood and Michael Moore didn't have the impact they thought they would. Having a 20 year old living at home still, I have watched quite a bit of the MTV ads. Talk about angry people. But, now I'm hearing that the young voters just didn't turn out - or maybe they did, and are just more conservative than was expected.

I also noticed last night that there was NO time at all wasted between election commercials and Christmas commercials. Last Christmas was consumed with plans for my daughter's wedding on January 2. This year, I'm hoping to enjoy the entire season. I shall start by reading my collection of short Christmas stories by Catherine Paterson. (sigh)

5:35 AM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

I think the frustration and name calling probably comes from the fact that both sides, when they argue, probably twist the facts. It's that insanity that makes me mental. I hate it and I probably loose my patience with that.

I also don't understand how poor people want to give all their money to the rich, and want to give big businesses huge breaks at our expense. That baffles my mind. I am not on the poor side so maybe I shouldn't worry anymore. Maybe I shouldn't care.

7:59 AM  
Blogger WifeMotherMe said...

I recently discover your blog, and now a week or two later, for the life of me I do not remember how, but, I wanted to let you know I have really enjoyed reading and that I win the all time longest run on sentence in history with this here comment!
http://wifemotherme.diaryland.com/

6:46 PM  
Blogger Melodee said...

Hi Hillary. Good memory! I wrote about seeing Fahrenheit 9/11, the movie, on July 4. My ending sentences were a summary about how I felt at the moment--where I was clearly outnumbered in my Democratic state--and were meant to be funny and provocative. Don't you ever feel smarter than everyone around you? Anyway, you're right. Maybe I did judge the intelligence of the people in that movie theater. Maybe all the nastiness in this country is payback just for my comments about that movie. ;)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Melodee said...

Shannon, thanks. Hillary asked about my statement in my July 4th post (great memory, I'm flattered she remembered) in which I said "I am smarter than everyone here"--my thoughts in a movie theater after I saw Fahrenheit 9/11. She suggested that perhaps I was judging the intelligence of Democrats at that time . . . and here I said I would never judge their intelligence, so I guess I'm caught!

She also said she's finished Christmas shopping! That was all. I can't imagine why she removed her comment, but there you go.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Melodee said...

Hi again, Hillary. Have no fear! Here is the text of your previous comment in full: "I'm just curious about the following quote from your post, "I would never judge their intelligence by their political belief system". I recall a post sometime last summer where you mused that you "had to be smarter than anyone in this theater" after viewing Farenheit
9-11. Call me crazy, but isn't that judgemental?

P.S. I have purchased and wrapped my last Christmas present. You'd better get a move on!"

And thanks again for pointing out my inconsistencies--and reading so carefully! I appeciate it, really!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I'm with you. I'm tired of all the negativity. I'm relieved the campaigning is over (not that the negativity ends there).

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares