Wednesday, October 27, 2004

I Missed the Memo About Pink Scuffs

A few weeks ago, I herded my kids into the car to go to the bank and realized a few miles down the road that I was still wearing my black suede scuffs, a distant cousin of the house-slipper. They are all cozy and lined with something a sheep probably lost its life over. I wear them all day to keep my feet warm and my socks dry. But when I leave the house, I change into actual shoes with laces. It seems only right.

But maybe not.

Apparently, it has become acceptable to wear slippers in public. Did I miss a memorandum or something? Last night, I stood in line at the video store behind a woman in scuffs that appeared to be crocheted out of pink yarn. In walked another young woman wearing hot pink leopard print plush scuffs (paired with some clown-like spandex--we all turned to watch as she sauntered by). In Target the other night, I saw another pair of slippers--and not in the shoe department, either, but on a harried-looking woman's feet.

Is it just here? Is it just me? Or are people everywhere throwing caution to the wind and wearing their slippers in public? What's next? Pajamas?

If you see a woman in a battered, lilac-colored robe with gigantic pockets full of tissues, that would be me. Testing the new boundaries of fashion. Check out my slippers! They almost look like shoes!

5 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

I thought it was just here! Last night a group of women and I were talking about high school girls wearing slippers to school. We thought they were just weird. OK. I still think it's weird, but at least now I know it's some kind of fad.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Around here (SW Michigan) wearing flannel pajama pants in public started over a year ago - before wearing slippers I think.

Or I may have been too busy gawking at the pajamas to notice the slippers.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

We see a lot of mothers wearing flannel jammies at their kids' football games, down here. Not just the jammie pants, but the jammie tops, too. With bunnies. And duckies. And Spongebob.

I don't want to ever see my mother in Spongebob jammies. And I'm sure my kids feel the same.

As for the slippers, well, I can't even wear regular shoes without falling on my ass all the time. . . . .

9:57 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Hey, I want to get in on this. I've not seen anyone in my neck of the woods (or my street in the suburbs) wearing slippers in public.

I could be the first one on my block!
If I only had some slippers....

2:49 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I would not wear stuff like that out...well, probably not...but my kids sure would, and do...

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares