Friday, October 22, 2004

Fun With Toddlers

Yesterday, DaycareKid arrived a little late, so I took the opportunity to replace the fallen towel bars in the bathrooms. For some reason, my 11-year old twins have been using those bars as handles, apparently attempting to rock-climb the bathroom walls. How else to explain the inexplicable fallen racks?

I fixed the towel rack in the downstairs bathroom and before I could go upstairs, DaycareKid arrived. I welcomed him and he and Babygirl went into the family room to reunite after a long night apart. She's always so happy to see him.

The upstairs towel bar refused to budge--I need to find the really tiny screwdriver that the children have "borrowed"--and so I returned downstairs after only a few minutes. I'd left three bowls of oatmeal on the kitchen counter to cool--suddenly, I've turned into The Three Little Bears. Only one bowl remained.

I thought, Oh, my son ate his oatmeal already, but I realized immediately that 3-1=2 . . . and so where was the other oatmeal bowl? I glanced over and saw DaycareKid and Babygirl, both standing in the family room holding bowls of oatmeal and gigantic spoons.

Babygirl said, "We eat moat-meal!" Remarkably, they hadn't spilled a glop. I could only smile at her resourcefulness at finding the oatmeal, carrying it one bowl at a time, sharing with her friend, digging around in the forehead-height-to-a-toddler silverware drawer for spoons.

Today, while I sat at the kitchen table, discussing poetry with my twins, I became vaguely aware of the toddlers talking about the potty. I paused, listened and heard "He play with the potty!" I jumped up and said, "OH NO! Oh no, no, no, NO!" I hurried over to find DaycareKid sitting a few feet away from the toddler-sized potty which we keep in the family room. Babygirl had peed in the potty earlier and I hadn't immediately emptied it.

I know. How disgusting, right?

DaycareKid had been dunking Pokemon cards into the urine in the potty. When I knelt to investigate, I felt a wet spot on the knee of my well-worn blue jeans where he'd dropped the soaked cards. I gathered the cards up--ewwwwww--and carried them to the trashcan. I told myself, "Urine is sterile," but--ick. I washed his hands in warm water, told him, "NO NO NO NO NO NO!" I emptied the pot. I can't believe I had to say the sentence, "DO NOT PLAY IN THE POTTY!"

It reminded me of the time I heard myself say, "Do not pee on your brother!" That was way back in the days when the twins were three and I thought my life was hectic. Ha ha ha.

Who Are You?

I've been watching too much Winnie the Pooh--not the new-fangled shows you find on the Disney Channel, but the original Winnie the Pooh movies. We have three-in-one, called "Pooh's Grand Adventures." My favorite is all about the blustery day.

But here is what I have come to realize. I am Rabbit. I am the one likely to scurry around saying, "Oh no, no, no, no! My precious carrots!" And "my beautiful garden" in great dismay upon finding it trashed by the irrepressible Tigger. I am not simple and sweet like Pooh. I am not timid and fearful like Piglet. I have never been happy-go-lucky and energetic like Tigger. I wish I was Kanga with her June Cleaver voice and her broom, or Roo with his happy childhood. At one time I was gloomy Eyeore, watching my house fall down around me, but now? Now I am Rabbit, the party-pooper, the worry-wart, the one who freaks out upon finding a Pooh Bear stuck in the doorway of my house.

I have watched so much Pooh lately, that I've even decided that it would be a good quiz: A "Who Are You? Winnie-the-Pooh?" quiz. Guess someone else beat me to it!

(I just took the quiz I linked up there and it was obviously wrong because it said this:
You always like finding new stuff and you have alot of friends.You love everyone and like helping them but you worry too much about your food..
Winnie the Pooh^_^You always like finding new stuff
and you have a lot of friends.You love everyone
and like helping them but you worry too much
about your food..


Which Winnie the Pooh character are you ? (with Pics)
brought to you by Quizilla)

And I took another one for kicks and this time it said this:

Take the 100 Acre Personality Quiz!


I guess I don't know myself as well as I thought. . . or perhaps the Internet is not full of truth and beauty as I previously believed! I don't care what the Internet says. I am Rabbit, neurotic, long-eared, crazed Rabbit. Send carrots.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melodee, your days with the two toddler's sounds like mine... At least you get to send one home at the end of the day. Yup, have muttered the "do not play in the potty" more than once here too...lol...

Funny you should say you are Rabbit. I have told my Mom that taking my children over to her house, was like bringing Tigger over to Rabbit's house... She's alot like you. But I totally understand.... She raised 6 kids, it's her turn to have nice things.

I'm Pooh... : ) Michelle aka s0ngbird1962

5:24 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Yes, that quiz is definitively faulty. I scored as Eeyore. Me! Eeyore! A sad pessimistic donkey with bad posture? I think not!

At least I remain a Democrat in Poohville. ;)

7:19 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I'm Piglet. Yup. I'd have to agree.

Must go take another Paxil so I can face my scary world.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares