Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Lunar Eclipse

At 6:45 p.m., I said to my mother in the kitchen, "We have to go check the moon." And I snatched up Babygirl and we hurried outside. When I saw that the moon was partly obscured by a shadow, I ran back down the driveway and alerted the boys so they, too, could see the last lunar eclipse until 2007.

We stood in the street and watched the shadow creep so slowly across the nearly full moon. Babygirl was not content to sit on my hip, but wanted down. Disregarded good sense, I placed her on the street and she toddled off in her footy-pajamas to peer at the moon from a closer vantage point.

The boys sat in kitchen chairs they'd carted outside. They kept up a steady, inane chatter. Behind us, the twin girls who are seniors in high school snapped photographs and the flash illuminated the shrubs and probably our backsides, too.

When the moon was fully engulfed by the shadow of the earth, we waved bye-bye and went back inside where we warmed our noses and toes. Except for me. My toes stayed perfectly toasty in my black scuffs, which are perfectly acceptable to wear in the street while watching a lunar eclipse. Trust me. I know.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

I saw the full eclipse at 10:30. It was so dark, I missed it at first. I ran out the back, then out the front, then on the balcony before I saw it and realized I could see it from the back where I started! Fog was blowing over so it was difficult to see.

Thanks for your opinions in an effort to debate with me. I appreciate it. I've given up on debating politics as of late. I'm tired of the whole thing especially when I know the popular vote has no meaning. The electoral college rules in the end. Frustrating! Thanks again though for sharing your true thoughts :)

9:27 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

You know what fascinates me? That three of us (me, you and Fred) were all watching the same moon from our various locations spread out across the U.S.

Good stuff.

Now I have Disney's "It's a Small World After All" stuck in my head, which is not nearly as cool as us all watching the eclipse last night.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I wanted to see the eclipse, but we had rain. It is so nice to get rain now and then...it is rare here...so what is up with the timing here? The occasional rain could have waited until the next day...

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares