Saturday, November 06, 2004

Boring, But True

Slept in. Avoided traditional Saturday morning donuts. Took Babygirl to bank, shoe store, church bazaar, grocery store. Babygirl looked at "girl" in mirror at shoe store, apparently not recognizing herself. Sometimes I feel the same way. Where did my baby go? And who is that wrinkly-eyed, doughy-chinned woman holding my Babygirl in the mirror? (Oh, what an unpleasant mental image! I apologize. Please erase that and continue to think of me as, oh, say Julia Roberts. No, someone more my age. Yes, that's it--Brooke Shields.)

While waiting for shoe store to open, Babygirl ran up and down the sidewalk four times. A two year old can be so easy to entertain.

This afternoon, YoungestBoy went to yet another birthday party. He's quite the popular party guest. Next Friday he has another party to attend.

TwinBoyA read two books in two days. He's insatiable and wanted to know if we could go to the library tomorrow. (It's closed.)

I went to a movie tonight: Shall We Dance, with Richard Gere, Jennifer Lopez and Susan Sarandon. It was an amusing film, made more so by the woman behind me with the hearty, joyful laugh.

Babygirl sang all afternoon. Apparently, a song was stuck in her head because she kept singing, "I. Love. You. You. Love. Me. We're. A. Hap-py. Fal-i-my." (Barney theme-song.) I laughed at how she sang "family."

Have you ever noticed how some people's lives seem so portable? In the six years we've lived here, we've seen people come and go. A military family I know has moved from here to Hawaii and then to North Carolina. My mom has moved three times in these six years. One close friend moved from Kansas to Vermont and then Missouri. What is it with these people who just carry around their lives like a potted plant? They can just up and go and then plunk down in a new sunny spot at a moment's notice.

And here I am, growing roots deep into the soil, growing impossibly tangled with the neighboring perennials, stuck in one spot. Stuck?

I'm planted in a lovely spot. We stayed in a pot for so long, growing slightly root-bound until we had to choose, decide, break the pot and stay awhile. But I am slightly wistful for the portable days of the past, although I am really loving my golden hued living room. That color looks fabulous with my autumn decorations.

And now, I'll end this tortured analogy. Feel free to throw clay pots and daffodil bulbs for dragging you through the mud.

p.s. After more thought, I realized that the longest I've ever lived anywhere is six years, even in my childhood. No wonder I'm worrying about getting stuck in the mud here.

3 Comments:

Blogger elswhere said...

If you're almost 40, Julia Roberts isn't so far off-- she was born in October 1967. Brooke Shields was born in 1965. (I'm 38, right between Julia's age and Brooke's. I can believe that I'm in my late 30's but can't quite believe that they are, for some reason ;-)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

We've been in this house for six years. It was supposed to be a temporary stop over, as we fled the house we had been in for 12 years - right nextdoor to my mother-in-law.

But, one year into it my husband was fired from his job of nearly 25 years, and, so here we sit. It's a huge old house, and I wish it were mine.

So, this fall we are staging a 'pretend move' and are working our way through every room, closet, and the basement, attic and garage. The only reason we can do this, is we have access to a dumpster! What joy!!!

I can't seem to get rid of books though. I just keep buying more.

I'm just not very portable.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I don't know the woman in the mirror...she is really getting on my nerves though...

We moved into our current house three years ago. I said I was never moving again...but I am starting to feel like maybe I would like to. Isn't that insane? Moving is actually horrible...

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares