Sunday, June 20, 2004

Shopping for a Miracle

Yesterday, my husband granted me a brief furlough from the prison house. I had three hours. Oh, the pressure. How to spend this precious time?

I wanted to take my film to Costco to have it developed in one hour. I killed two birds with one stone by also picking up my husband's contact lenses. After I dropped off the film, I drove a short distance to the mall. My plan was to buy my husband a Father's Day gift and shop the sales rack at Gap for Kids. Babygirl needs new lightweight tights.

The moment I entered Sears, I became distracted, no, deluded by the thought that I might find a swimsuit. A Lands End swimsuit, because doesn't Sears carry that brand now? I wandered until I found the swimsuits. Picked out everything that looked probable and tried it on.

No.
No.
No.
No.

Ack. What was I thinking?

I ventured to the Gap and bought my baby girl two white shirts and a darling pair of sunglasses (all on clearance).

Then, I thought, maybe Bon-Macy's would have good swimsuits. Couldn't hurt to try! Plus, I still had to buy that Father's Day gift.

I found myself in the midst of a Sixteen Hour Sale. Women everywhere, swimsuits everywhere, crying babies in strollers everywhere! I started getting too hot, but now I was determined.

And then I found it. The Miracle Suit. It promised I would look ten pounds thinner in ten minutes. I figured that perhaps if I wore it for forty minutes, I could look forty pounds thinner. I have always been very good at math.

I picked out five swimsuits, paying careful attention to the top of the suit. I generally do not want to put mental images into your head, but let's just say that I'm on the top-heavy side of things. And unlike Anna Nicole Smith, I prefer to keep the Girls private.

I couldn't help but notice that the Miracle Suit that seemed the most promising--black with a lime green vertical stripe and a high neckline--cost $120.00. Yes, boys and girls, One-Hundred-and-Twenty-Dollars, American.

I was so desperate for a Miracle that it seemed like a bargain.

Now. Swimsuit manufacturers must not be familiar with well-endowed women. Or maybe it hasn't occurred to them that naturally endowed women do not have the Anti-Gravity devices that plastic surgeons use to, well, defy gravity when they install extra-large melons on skinny, flat-chested women. My Girls do not stand at attention. They don't even sit at attention. They basically lounge at attention and don't even bother to get up when the President of the United States himself walks into the room.

The suits I tried on featured little kicky-skirts and stomach panels and optical illusion stripes--but then, on top, there was a stretchy bit of elastic and two little straps and that was it. People! Please! I might be a self-sufficient gal, but even I need a little support every now and then. Or are we busty chicks not supposed to swim?

Let me tell you, that Miracle Suit? A fraud. A fake. A phony. I did not find a Miracle in that dressing room. Where was Benny Hinn when I needed him? I threw that suit down in disgust. Well, not really. I just clipped it back onto the hanger and sighed. By then, I was really hot and wondered if I had enough time to get an ice cream cone. And I'd decided that I really do have to go to Weight Watchers this week. I cannot face another dressing room mirror. The mirror doesn't lie.

My respite was nearly over and all I had done was face my unclothed self in various unmiraculous swimsuits. The wasted time! Who could I sue for this outrage? I wanted a Miracle, no matter the cost!

I rode the elevator downstairs (after putting on my capri pants and t-shirt, of course) and bought my husband a belt and a purple tie, as per his request (the belt) and YoungestBoy's request (the tie). Then, back to Costco to pick up pictures and frozen hamburger patties and buns.

Today, I wore a swimsuit. My old Lands End suit from last summer. I bought it at Goodwill last year. For $3.00.

The sun is shining and it's a hot day here in the Pacific Northwest. I'm in the baby pool with my suit on. Black, mock-tankini. My strategy involves not looking down at my body. I use denial because really, what can you do once you've left the safety of your own home? I left the house with a plan to leave my shirt on, but take my shorts off because even though the wading pool is just a foot deep, my shorts had gotten soaked on previous visits.

Using my logic, I put my bra on under my swimsuit, because I hate the smushed, uni-boob look and no one would see it, right? So, I'm in the pool, red t-shirt on top, swimsuit on bottom. Then, I think, wow, it's so hot out today. I think I'll just take off my shirt so I can dip my whole self into the pool. I nonchalantly pull the shirt over my head, maintaining my policy of not looking down at myself.

It took me about five minutes to remember that I was still wearing my lavender bra. Yes. Under my swimsuit, clearly visible. Lavender satin. I refrained from screaming and simply stepped out of the pool and pulled the red shirt over my head again.

Later, I did a flash-dance move and surreptitiously removed the bra from my swimsuit and stuffed it in my purse.

Now, that maneuver, my friends, is a Miracle.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brandie said...

ROFL!! That is a funny story .... but I feel your pain! I have that uni-boob look as well in a swimsuit, and not only that, but I'm always cold (even in the summer) and well, I don't necessarily appreciate how my body reacts to the cold ;-)
Anyway, I'm glad you were able to take off the purple bra and get in the water! And sorry about no miracles! If I find one, i'll be sure to share it with you! =)

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was HILARIOUS!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog today. I love it -- it is my favorite blog so far. I spent all afternoon reading your archives. I loved the story about Zachary getting to his Kindergarten late and having a meltdown.

I live the the Pacific NW too. My kids are all grown. It will happen to you, sooner than you think.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melodee, this entry was absolutely hilarious. ~~Still looking for a miracle here too....

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS...that comment was from Michelle, lol...

7:55 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

This is such a funny story! You should send it to a magazine or something.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why you are complaining, at least you have boobs. It is impossible for me to find a bathing suit that gives me a little cleavage. Bathing suit manufacturers put a light padding in every bathing suit thinking that everyone has big breasts. I find it so unfair. I feel you are lucky.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares