Saturday, June 05, 2004

Me? Whine?

Today, the tide will be low. Very, very low. Lower than it's been in the past 19 years. I wanted to take the kids to the beach to search for sea creatures. I checked the tide tables last night and the low tide is expected to occur at 2:00 p.m.

But YoungestBoy had his final baseball game this morning at 9:00 a.m.
And my husband had to work for a bit at church.
And then YoungestBoy had to go sign up for soccer.
And then my husband had to go to a funeral.
And Babygirl had to take a nap at 1:00 p.m.

I was feeling so whiny about missing the low tide. The big kids don't even care about going. They've just been pestering me about going to a used video game store to buy Gameboy games. But I wanted to go! I wanted to find a moon snail and crabs and a tiny, little octopus. I want the children to remember sea spray on their faces and the salty stink of the shore and the sucking sound their shoes make in the rarely seen muck.

And wouldn't you know it? At precisely 2:00 p.m., rain started to fall.

This rain is not a light, misty, foggy rain. This rain is a pelting, stinging, cold, steady downpour.

Tomorrow, the tide will be low again. Not as low, but low enough. We'll try again. The moon snails will still be lurking just under the surface of the sand and the bottom of the sea will be exposed, ready for us to explore.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you get to go tomorrow. I would be sad too :-(
B

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you do get to try again!

~Tina

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares