Saturday, April 10, 2004

My Saturday: A Report

The most glorious thing happened this morning. My baby did not wake up until after 8:30 a.m., so I slept in! I woke up, realized it was morning, rolled over and slept more. Then repeated that again and again. Oh, the beauty, the joy, the uncommon luxury of sleeping in!

Then, things got crazy. Well, not crazy-insane-admit-me-to-the-loony-bin, but crazy-hurry-we've-got-to-get-ready-to-go.

I showered, attempted to dry my hair straight and was confronted with the fact that it's too long and too unruly to be straightened anymore. I think it is curlier now than ever before. Anyway, finished getting ready, fed the baby and told her we were going to go somewhere. She took me quite literally and walked to the front door. I handed her a waffle and took her for a fifteen minute ride while my husband showered and hollered at the kids to comb their hair and get ready. I assume he hollered, anyway. Who knows? Happily, I was meandering through the neighborhoods in my town, checking out houses and yards and lilac bushes and the controversial building site on the water where a man is attempting to circumvent my town's stringent building codes.

My lilac bush has not yet bloomed because it's mostly in the shade. But next week, for sure, it will bloom.

The kids have not adjusted to spring at all. Especially spring days like today where the temperature is 75 degrees. They were all wearing sweat pants and long-sleeved shirts when I returned home. I tried to convince them to wear t-shirts and the oldest two did change. YoungestBoy insisted on wearing long sleeves and heavy sweatpants. Okey-dokey, then.

We left the house at 10:35 a.m. for the Easter egg hunt at the pool. We belong to a private pool club, which is the best money we spend every year. The first event every year is the egg hunt. I wasn't sure if Babygirl would "get it," but I did bring her a white basket.

There were maybe 5 kids ages 3 and under and they had 150 eggs to gather! Babygirl immediately understood what she was to do. She called the eggs "balls." After she placed the first one in her basket, she said, "more." She filled her basket completely and even cooperated while I took her picture. She had a great time. Even though she is abnormally anti-social, she was running along, throwing a plastic egg and then snatching it up and throwing it again. The only times she paused and veered close to me were when someone said, "Hello!" to her. She likes to be ignored.

The big boys had a good time, too, and gathered lots of eggs. Now they have lots of candy.

Here's the Bad Mother moment of the day, though. I totally, completely forgot about coloring Easter eggs. We've colored eggs for the past 8 or 9 years and yet, this year, I forgot. It never occurred to me to decorate for Easter (I have a bunch of decorations) or anything. The funny thing is that the kids haven't said a word. I think they forgot, too!

If they ask about coloring eggs, I'm going to tell them that I planned to color eggs next week, during Spring Break, so we'll have something to do. Ha.

When we got home from the festivities, my husband went to work to write his sermon for tomorrow. He's had a very busy week--busier than usual, even--because a good friend of his (and a church member) has been in the hospital. He had surgery earlier this week, then suffered a complication and had to go back into surgery. When my husband did arrive home after finishing his sermon, he immediately left again to visit Jeff. He came home to stay at about 7 p.m. Yes, that would be another day "off" . . . where he worked for 7 hours.

During his absence today, we were mostly in the backyard. The kids played and I pulled weeds for awhile. The kids couldn't seem to play nicely, however, so I changed gears and got out a bucket, filled it with suds and assigned them the task of cleaning the lawn chairs. As TwinBoyA said to YoungestBoy, "I never knew cleaning could be so much fun!" They cleaned chairs, toys, the house and the patio door with great glee and enthusiasm. While they cleaned, I used the hose and sprayed off the patio, which took a considerable amount of time. I carried Babygirl with me some of the time, but she'd wriggle to get down and stomp in the puddling water. She took off her overalls, too, and soon her socks and shoes and bottom were wet and muddy.

The patio looks great. I also sprayed out the sandboxes, so they are ready for new sand. I've been itching to get the back yard cleaned up.

My husband promised to let me get out of house, but by the time I ironed everyone's Easter clothes, it was already 8:30 p.m., so I just went out for an hour. I bought chocolate bunnies for the boys and rented two videos and two DVDs, but of course, I couldn't get the sort of new DVD player set up. It does not seem compatible with my television set, at least the one down here in the family room. So much for that.

I can't believe tomorrow is Easter. We're having dinner at my mom's house, which means I don't have to cook for once. For that, I am abundantly thankful!
Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares