Monday, April 05, 2004

My Husband's Day Off

What a wacky morning.

First of all, Babygirl woke up at about 5:00 a.m. I nursed her and she went back to sleep, so I did, too. Then my husband got up early so he could take the youth pastor candidate and his wife back to the airport (about 45 minutes from us). I finally dragged out of bed at the last possible minute, showered and came downstairs by 7 a.m. No one else was awake.

I woke the boys at 7:20 a.m. Waited for DaycareKid to arrive. He always arrives before 7:30 a.m. At 7:30 a.m. on the dot, his mother calls to tell me he had a rough night and his daddy was letting him sleep in before he would drop DaycareKid off. She wasn't sure what was wrong with him--she thought he was feverish but his temperature was normal and she wondered if he was constipated and had a tummy-ache.

At 7:40 a.m. YoungestBoy woke up and ran downstairs to watch his normal 7:30 a.m. show. He was upset that he missed ten minutes of it.

Someone picked up the boys for school at 8:05 a.m.

Then my husband calls. He's at the airport, in the drop-off, no-parking zone and our car won't start. And this is our "good" car, the 1993 Mercury Sable. (The 1992 Buick Park Avenue with 265,211 miles is now for sale. Anyone want a car?) Luckily, we belong to "Drive America", some auto-service club connected with Union 76 that I joined just to get the free $20 worth of gas they offered. I have been meaning to cancel the membership, but haven't yet. So, I called them and arranged for the car to be towed. My husband couldn't do this because he didn't have a pen in the car and couldn't memorize the membership numbers and toll-free phone number and all. The woman from "Drive America" called him, though to confirm his location and we were all set.

Then Babygirl woke up.

A bit later, DaycareKid arrived.

Then, my husband calls to say the car started. Could I please cancel the tow-truck?

He took the car to a mechanic and called to report he was walking down the street toward a restaurant and that he'd have his secretary or friend pick him up and take him to his office. Then later, he called from his office to say that he and K. were going to visit J. in the hospital. Then later, he called to say he was going to someone's home to look at free books (a minister is retiring). Later on, he called again to say that our friend will be bringing our boys home from school.

Babygirl skipped her nap today. Daylight Savings time has confused her.

She's watching Teletubbies right now. There was a report today that said children who watch television between the ages of 1 and 3 have increased chances of developing Attention Deficit Disorder, which of course, makes me think 1) I am a horrible mother and the reason that TwinBoyB cannot pay attention in school and 2) Thank God for children's programming. Without it, I would be insane. Yes, I use the television for a "babysitter" sometimes. So sue me.

Oh. And big news. During one of the ten jillion phone calls today from my husband, he mentions that he's thinking about going down to the Humane Society to pick out a mutt for the kids. I am staying out of this. I want no responsibility or blame for picking out a "bad" pet.

Next week is Spring Break. My husband decided today that maybe he'll take the week off. I wonder if his week "off" will be anything like his day "off" today?

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares