Saturday, March 06, 2004

Who Said Housewives Don't Have Fun?

Woke up with a start yesterday morning at 7:04 a.m. after a remarkable night of sleeping without interruption. How did that happen? Unfortunately, I was supposed to be showered and dressed and in my right mind by 7:00 a.m. Lucky for me, DaycareKid was late and didn't arrive until closer to 7:30 a.m. I spent an unshowered day watching kids. YoungestBoy was home all day because his kindergarten class will be going all day on Monday to a field trip. So today, the afternoon class had the day off.

Babygirl had her second mid-day bath. She started pulling at her clothes and once undressed indicated that she wanted to get in the tub. She had a great time until I outraged her by washing her hair.

DaycareKid left a bit before 4:30 p.m. We ate dinner. (Don't even ask, I'm such a failure as a cook to this family. My husband doesn't want to eat dairy products, beef or pork and he doesn't like most vegetables. My 10 year-old twins don't like vegetables or any food mixed together--TwinBoyA is disturbed by food that is too crispy. YoungestBoy is going through an extremely picky phase and refuses dinner entirely, preferring cereal and milk and bananas and cheese. None of the boys like any food mixed together or anything with suspicious ingredients. Babygirl is a toddler and embraces the widest ranges of food. I cannot please these people. I made lasagna this week, from scratch. Only one person ate it. It's frustrating when you cannot make any type of casserole, use dairy, beef or pork or vegetables. And my husband says I don't like cooking--which is not true at all. I just don't like cooking for ungrateful whiners.)

I showered after dinner and dressed in clean clothes. I put Babygirl to sleep at 7:10 p.m., then went to the church for my first meeting with a new small group. We've formed a group for young couples, which is kind of funny because at 39, I am the oldest and my husband stays home with the kids, so I'm not a couple, either. But they are nice people and I know all the women from the church nursery. We all have children who are toddlers or preschooler (except one couple who is a military couple who both graduated from West Point).

The discussion lasted until 8:30 p.m. and then we chatted until it was 9:15 p.m. We joked about how I was going to the grocery store afterwards and how pathetic it is that going to the grocery store alone is a thrill for some of us.

At 9:15 p.m., I headed for the grocery store. In my advanced state of exhaustion, it took me until 10:38 p.m. to finish shopping. I had to go up and down every aisle (I had no list) to look at everything. My son, TwinBoyA, has a cooking project planned and needed bizarre items from white chocolate to jumbo shrimp and something from nearly every aisle besides.

On the way home, I drove along the water and then through our little town with its 25 mph speed limit. I was careful to reduce my speed once I hit city limits. That's why, when I was a mile from my house and had just turned a corner, I was shocked to see a police car with flashing lights suddenly appear behind me. I pulled over immediately and reached in my purse for my license and wondered if I could find the registration and proof of insurance quickly. I looked up and the officer (who looked too young to be an officer) was approaching my window cautiously, flashing his enormous flashlight at me. I held out my license. He took it and said, "Do you realize this is a 25 miles per hour zone?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Do you realize you were speeding?" I said, "Was I? I'm sorry!" He said, "Have you had any tickets in the past five years?" I said, "No." He examined my license and then said again, "Any tickets in the past five years?" I said, "No." He said, "Okay. Slow down." I said "okay." I would definitely slow down. But would my heart?

And you thought being a housewife wasn't exciting. Ha.
Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares