Thursday, April 13, 2006

Root Beer Man

My left eye won't stop twitching which is a sign that I have not had enough beauty sleep. I'm all squinty and head-achey and lethargic, deaf to the pleas of my chores to "Pick me! Pick me!"

This picture shows what happens when you leave an almost-13 year old boy to do his literature assessment without direct supervision. You see the eye holes he cut out with scissors? I ought to count that as an art project and take credit somehow.

At 3:00 a.m., I was roused from a deep sleep by my husband who heard the cries of my 3-year old. She needed to use the bathroom and then, of course, have a bath, because don't we all want that extra special clean feeling after we use the toilet? She cried that her tummy hurt.

Yesterday afternoon, she was in the bath right after she asked for some medicine. She has an aversion to medicine of all kinds, so I knew she must be desperate.

I came downstairs and found some anti-nausea medicine (similar to something someone posted here the other day--the main ingredient is fructose) and brought her a teaspoon. She looked at it suspiciously and sipped a microscopic amount and announced she was done. I left the little cup on the edge of the tub, thinking maybe she'd reconsider.

Later, when I checked on her, the cup was floating in the water. I said, "Oh, did you drink it?" She said, "No. I don't like red medicine. I only like pink." And so she dumped it in the tub and bathed in it, instead.

But back to last night/this morning. She was back in bed at 3:40 a.m. Then awake at 4:30 a.m. At 5:40 a.m., when I heard her cry out again, I said to my husband, "Will you check on her?" My head was weighted to the pillow like a stone and I simply couldn't move. I think he gave her pretzels and saltines and turned on a video for her. At some point, she came into bed with us and we all slept until 7:00 a.m. when she woke up, asked for a drink, begged to get up, then said, "Just one more minute," and fell to sleep again.

I woke with a start at 8:10 a.m. and rushed to shower and get my son off to school. My older boys' school day has been haphazard because my daughter has wanted me to hold her constantly and because my head has come loose from its neck and is dangling precariously by a frayed ligament.

But tonight, my colorist will arrive and vanquish my roots and mow my boys' raggedy hair.

This probably wasn't such a great week to give up caffeine. Although Root Beer Man is cute and all, I really need Diet Coke Man to swoop in here and pour me an icy 32-ounce glass. Posted by Picasa

15 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I don't know if you've seen my blog, but I have been giving up caffeine this week, too -- and I really should not have fantasies like the ones created by an image of Diet Coke man. Oh, my stars -- my kingdom for some life flowing through my veins!! I am so impressed with your ability to do that through all of your midnight baths and wanderings. Yikes.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Mmmmm, Diet Coke. I was trying to give it up because it came out that a lot of diet sodas have high levels of benzene, even though nobody would cop as to which ones, which makes me mad.

Then, I tried to switch to flavored water because I hate plain water, but it has Splenda, which is also supposed to be not that great.

Perhaps I should just walk around with an IV.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ah, that DC is &*^% addicting, n'est ce pas? excuse me while I reach into the fridge right beside the puter ... Ah, the pause that refreshes.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I think Diet Coke Man is really a woman in drag. A woman who has consumed far too much Diet Coke and therefore has the false energy of fully caffeinated blood coursing through her veins.

Mel, reading your posts this week has exhausted me on your behalf. Sure hope your girl is healthy soon so your head can spontaneously reattach to your neck. Love the box on the head look, btw. Creativity takes on many forms. :)

Suzanne

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had to comment on this one because my daughter has been sleeping terribly this week too, so I totally feel your craziness. Hats off to you for doing it without caffeine!

And Dr. Pepper Man is charming :)

8:12 PM  
Blogger deedee said...

Rootbeer man, I want rootbeer man. He doesn't exist in my part of the world.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Oh, I hope your baby is better soon. Sleep deprivation is so hard!

I feel your pain about the caffeine! If I had to give it up, it would be bad around here for a bit.

As for rootbeer, there is a place not too far from here that brews there own and it is to die for. Mmmm.

6:39 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

Just coming by today to wish you and your loved ones a happy and blessed Easter before the weekend gets away from me!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Brutal nights! I hope she is feeling better soon!

Have a Happy Easter and I would re-think caffeine... Mr. Tab and Mr. Diet Pepsi are the true loves of my life...

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that picture!
My husband is trying an experiment by giving up caffeine to see if that helps is Roseaca....psssttt...he's kinda grumpy!

Have a great day.

~K!

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I messed up my link
Kismet.blogs.com


sorry

8:52 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

My 8-year-old son did the EXACT SAME THING WITH A ROOT BEER BOX!!! What the heck is up with that?

10:12 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I feel like putting an empty box of rootbeer on myself tonight. Too much pollen in the air.

Hope your baby is feeling better today so you can get some sleep. As a 'used to be' mother of 3, I know the feeling.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

It's so sad when kids are sick. Poor girl. Poor sleepless twitchy you.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That photo of your son with a rootbeer hat is hilarious!

~Wendy from Flippin' Sweet

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares