Monday, September 12, 2005

A Few Notes About My Girl

My daughter has to coil herself into my lap now, she's so long. She curls her legs up and scrunches her head down to fit.

She has discovered the joy of the small chair. I bought a little kid-sized table for my kitchen and she carries the little chair around so she can reach stuff. Today, while I showered, she brought her orange chair from her room to the bathroom, so she could stand on the counter and brush her teeth. She likes to make faces at herself while she brushes. And she handles the toothpaste tube by herself, proclaiming, "I can do it all . . . by . . . my . . . self!"

She woke up last night at 1:00 a.m. and when I told her it was nighttime, still, she agreed to be rocked. I picked her up and then turned off the bright light. Alarmed that I was going to put her back in her crib, she shouted, "I rock you!" I love how she still says things like, "I hold you" instead of "You hold me."

She sounds emphatic most of the time because she puts the "not" right in front of the action. For instance, "Today I am going to NOT hit my friend." Or "I am going to NOT cry when you put me to bed." "I am going to NOT pee my pants!"

At night, she arranges a collection of seven dollies in her crib on the foot end. She covers the dollies carefully with a crocheted blanket. Then, she settles back on her own little pillow, pulling a tiny napkin-sized crocheted blanket over herself. This miniature blanket is meant for a doll and covers only her belly. She insists on following this routine each night.

I just turned into "Mommy." For a long time I've been "Mom" and "Mama," but now suddenly and without official notification, she calls me "Mommy."

She passed gas the other day. She feigned surprise, looked at me and said, "Did you hear that? What was that?" Then she grinned. I wonder where she learned that? (The correct answer to her question is what my dad taught me to say when faced with such a question: "Spiders barking!")

8 Comments:

Blogger Dora said...

Cute! The answer to that question in our house is, "A Duck"

2:53 AM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Nice! To our three-year-old, I have recently become "Mom-mom". I keep asking her if she has 2 moms or one, since she insists on calling me a double mom.

My husband refers to barking spiders too :-)

6:14 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

The charming Hubba-hubba has taught my son to sing a song entitled, "Thanks for the farties" whenever he passes gas.

Needless to say, I am not amused.

Eventually, he says excuse me.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I love the image of her with the little napkin-sized blanket on her belly. My son has a line-up of toys on his bed. Ever few months we have to trim the number of toys so that he still has room!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Lone Ranger said...

The greatest disappointment of my life is that I never had a daughter. There is a place in my heart that will be forever empty. And a place in my closet that will never hold a 12-gauge shotgun. You have a long row to hoe.

12:22 PM  
Blogger red fish said...

NOT is not emphatic enough for my youngest. Lately it has been NO NOT. As in, I NO NOT WANT to go to bed!!!

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I envy you. Although my daughter is now 20, I still remember these wonderful years.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Gem said...

I was so sad when my 20-month-old graduated me from mama to mommy. But the killer is now that he's 23 months old, he calls me . . . MOM!!!!! My girls were at least 3 or 4 before they called me mom. He hollers it like they do, "Moooooom!" Sigh.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares