Monday, September 05, 2005

Buh-bye!

Tomorrow is the Big Day.

My 7-year old starts second grade.

My husband's sabbatical comes to an end.

My 12-year old twins begin their second year of school-at-home (not to be confused with homeschool). Only problem is that the curriculum hasn't arrived yet and won't arrive until Friday, they tell me. So, we'll head to the YMCA, I think, and sign up for homeschool P.E. and get our identification cards. This plan works only because my usual daycare baby won't be coming tomorrow morning. Instead, I'll have DaycareKid and his cousin, a 4-year old girl I'm watching two days this week as a favor to her mother. Working mothers have such an issue with finding appropriate childcare. It's the headache that does not respond to ibuprofen.

Anyway.

Summer's over, no matter what the calendar says. Farewell, my friend! See you in nine months!

6 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'd be interested in reading more about the distinction that you're drawing between school at home and homeschool.

4:31 AM  
Blogger Gem said...

School at home is usually public school curriculum, provided by the school with tax dollars, and regulated by the public school system, brought home and taught by the parents. Homeschool is usually used to describe parents who have brought their kids out of the public school system completely and control their education themselves. The distinction is a fine one, but necessary so that when future legislation is made, both types aren't lumped together under the same regulations. There are homeschool snobs who feel that the PS school at home type of homeschooling isn't "real" homeschooling. Most of us feel that you have to do what works for your family and only make the distinction between school at home and homeschool (sometimes referred to as home education) as a legality.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Sabbatical too short.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Ok, how about one last milkshake, in memory of summer? ;)

It is in the mid-80's over here, and definitely still feels like summer, no matter what the calendar says.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Christi said...

I never thought about school-at-home. I wonder if they do that here, or if it can be done? Hmmm. I was a teacher, and that would seem like a good idea for me. Of course, it's not like homeschooling is much different. I mean, most moms still use a set curriculum to teach their kids at home, too. Even in public schools the teachers vary from the actual set curriculum at times. I'm gonna have to check on that!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm up for a milkshake!! wow, summer's really over, huh? I hope all your kids have a great year doing all the things you got going on for them. and I need someone to watch Lil Diva for a few hours in the mornings for a week coming up here, interested?? :)

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares