Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Party Hearty

My daughter's birthday is Friday and so tomorrow, we're going to party like it's . . . well, 2005. She'll be three.

She was born on Labor Day, which pleased me no end. How appropriate to labor on Labor Day! Plus, I thought, we can always celebrate her birthday on Labor Day weekend.

Except I forgot that people sometimes leave town for Labor Day weekend. To get around that fact, I decided to have the party tomorrow, a day early, at the pool. Because I have daycare kids, the party will start at 6:00 p.m. and end by 8:00 p.m., at which point all the children will have bluish lips and goosebumps and chattering teeth.

The high is supposed to be a balmy 75 degrees tomorrow.

Tomorrow I need to bake a cake (from scratch, of course) which will be half a sphere, decorated like a beach ball. I'd originally thought I'd bake cupcakes, too, but it occurred to me that I can make cupcakes on her actual birthday. I have a sudden obsession with cupcakes. But I know my limitations.

I'm serving make-your-own sub sandwiches, grapes and canteloupe chunks on skewers, mini-bags of chips, blue Jello with a bear cookie floating in a gummy lifesaver and juice. I don't usually make Jello, nor do my kids eat it, but the little clear cups of pool-blue Jello look so cute! So, they are a decoration more than a food, I suppose. I bought ten beach balls at the dollar store and I'll float those in the pool and pick up ten mylar balloons from the dollar store on the way to the party. Voila! Decorations!

My sunburn has gone from ouch-don't-touch-me to I-can't-stop-scratching-and-my-nose-is-peeling. Fun times.

So, if you don't hear from me tomorrow, you can safely assume I'm eating frosting by the spoonful frosting a cake with homemade buttercream frosting and scratching my shoulders with with my chin and juggling the wants needs of seven children while worrying about my impending party.

12 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

OH! Please wish Baby Girl a very Happy Birthday. And, enjoy this very last day of having a two year old.

4:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Baby Girl, and may all the terrible 2's be in the past!!

5:11 AM  
Blogger Feeble Knees said...

Happy Birthday Baby Girl - hope you all have a wonderful day (and lots of frosting ;)

7:34 AM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

I hope you have a great time!! Happy birthday to your little girl :)

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obsession with cupcakes...hmmm...
Freud might have had a field day with that.

Happy 3rd anniversary of your labor. Have some cake!

Elizabeth
(too lazy for username and pass)

9:30 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Sounds like a great time. Nothing like shimmering pools of blue jello to liven up a party! Gummy lifesaver... nice touch. :)

Happy labor day.

Suzanne

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great theme and creative ideas! Your daughter is going to love her special day.

Happy birthday to her.

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm SO impressed--with the creativity, the from-scratch cake, etc. My boy's 2nd b'day was this summer and his cake was Funfetti a la Pillsbury. He did love it, though.

I have a sudden fondness for cupcakes, too. Have you seen www.52cupcakes.blogspot.com?

10:43 AM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

That sounds like great fun!
All of a sudden, I'm going to run over to 52cupcakes, and maybe fire up the over.

1:16 PM  
Blogger blueyedtracy said...

Happy Birthday from another Sept. 2nd b-day person! She and I are 32 years apart. You are a generous and kind mom to bake a cake from scratch. Cupcakes are the best! My son will probably get them again this year when his 3rd b-day rolls aorund in December. Enjoy!!

1:57 PM  
Blogger red fish said...

Happy Birthday Baby Girl! I'd love to see a picture of the jello. Sounds fun!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Happy Birthday Babygirl!

I hope you all had a wonderful time. Hey, send any extra frosting over this way...

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares