Friday, August 26, 2005

A Sunset Picnic

After the last baby's mother took her baby home tonight, I took my kids to the beach to meet some friends for a picnic dinner. My friend brought the picnic and six of her seven children. Our children ran and climbed and threw rocks into the water and talked Nintendo and took turns on the slide.

And then we watched the sun set.

The sky was stretched out without a wrinkle or a cloud. When the sun slipped behind the islands, the sky blushed and gold rippled on the periwinkle waves.

The light is so perfect at that moment, just after the sun has gone. But, alas, I had no more film. I'd taken the last picture on my roll earlier when the children all clambered onto a tree, christened "The Bird Tree," by my 3-year old. So I gazed fully at my daughter's face as she stood with her toes in the sand.

And then darkness fell.

4 Comments:

Blogger methatiam said...

Oddly enough, I'm glad you didn't have anymore film. I'd rather read someone's impressions of a beautiful picture, it gives so much more flavor than a photo. I'll take the thousand words any day

1:07 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Sounds like a great afternoon. I'm envious.

Hear hear to a thousand words over a picture. I could see it in my mind.

Suzanne

9:00 PM  
Blogger Smoov said...

I dig your words and all, but I totally love pictures. And you need to go digital so you don't have to worry about film anymore! And I can see your pictures faster =)

9:19 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Let us go then, you and I, to where the evening is stretched out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table.

T.S. Eliot

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares