Monday, August 15, 2005

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Yesterday, I took the kids to the church picnic at a local beach. The start-time of the picnic coincided with my daughter's naptime, but we threw caution to the wind and partied on.

She ran from the slide to the swings, then detoured to the shore to throw rocks into the Puget Sound. Then a quick trip to the bathroom, where she refused to use the potty, though I knew she needed to go. Back to the swings, the slides, the shore and then, the bathroom again. This time, she did the deed.

While I stood in line for lunch--a good old-fashioned potluck--she crouched near two moms with young babies who sat on the kelly-green grass. My daughter adores babies and risked being distant from me just to linger in the presence of drooly, crawling little ones. (One of them is CuteBaby, the 9-month old we watch every day.)

We ate lunch and by then, I noticed one of the other 3-year old girl asleep on the ground. Asleep. On the ground. They had to do a three-legged race around her. Later, I saw yet another 3-year old girl sleeping peacefully on the ground. My almost-three year old girl was running, jumping, splashing rocks into the water, climbing, swinging . . . we were there for four hours. (The boys went on boat rides and had a water balloon fight and drank pop from the cans. Good times!)

Last night, I washed her hair in the tub. She hates to have her sparse curls washed, but she held a hand-towel across her face and told me, "I will not cry!" And she didn't.

Afterward, she told me, "I did not cry!" Then, she thought a second and said, "But I will cry later!"

That about sums it up, I guess. Always reserve the right to cry later. Not a bad policy to have.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

I love that! "I did not cry. But I will cry later!" hehe Refreshingly honest and realistic.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Ozfemme said...

I totally agree. One must always reserve the right to cry in case one needs it later on.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

I think I'll cry right now that I have never in my life gotten to go to a picnic on Puget Sound!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Whoa....I had that very thought today. How cool is that...I'm thinking like a three year old! Which actually, probably isn't such a bad thing. And probably a bit more mature than my usual musings.

2:18 PM  
Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

Your daughter is wise beyond her years!

Actually, I find it ironic that I'm rading this at a time when I should be in bed reading another chapter out of "Everything I needed to Know, I Learned in Kindergarden". On that note, I'm going to bed. G'night.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

Your three year old is my four year old. He'd never stop for a nap at a picnic! Those lucky moms!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

That'a cute story! I think your daughter had one heck of a time :)

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares