Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Experience No Longer Needed

Just when you get really good at something, you don't have to do it anymore. For instance, I am an efficient diaper-changer. When the current daycare babies are no longer in my care, my diaper changing days will be pretty much over. All that practice and boom! No more need for my skills.

Years ago, I was very good at wallowing in my grief over infertility. I filled pages of journals with morose "why me?" sorts of writings. I could turn any situation into a cryfest--a dinner with friends and a pregnant teen turns up? My face would fall and I'd cry all the way home. I'm good at grief and feeling sorry for myself. Practiced and nurtured, one might say.

In high school, I excelled in all my studies, but math came especially easy to me. I never took another math course again after I graduated. My math skills are not just rusty--they're like a stripped and stolen car, abandoned and now overgrown with blackberry brambles in a ditch somewhere. I remember algebra faintly, like a dream you can't quite invoke when you wake up.

So, what are you good at that you never do anymore?

(Though, life is cyclical and I am not stymied by the math my boys are learning. And being a Grief Expert helps me empathize with people as they cope with loss--and I'm sure I'll grieve more as my time on earth grows shorter. As for diaper changing? Someday there will be grandchildren. At least one can hope that I'm changing grandbabies and not my mother.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

I actually used to be quite handy on a computer. I used Unix and work, and finally got around to knowing how the heck to use it. I also used Exel a lot, and now I have forgotten almost all the functions I used to do daily.

I used to be able to sound like I knew what I was talking about. I could bs my way through a presentation to medical doctors and sound perfect. Now I just kind of wander around with a dazed expression and try not to talk about potty training all the time.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Smoov said...

I am good at beung pregnant and having babies! I have no issues and textbook deliveries. But I don't be doing that anymore.

I am also good at fishing, which I never do, and shooting a rifle.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Just when I had perfected all the Sesame Street voices, my kids went off to school. I could say 'Elmo got new shoes!' better than Elmo could. I know all the words to 'Lady Bug Picnic'.

I was good at pencil sketchs of kids. I used to entertain my kids, the neighbor kids, my Sunday school class kids by drawing them. Totally useless in my present life.

And, I was GREAT at creative answers to 'Why can't I?' This is useless, well, because nobody asks me that anymore. When did that stop? Why didn't I journal about THAT momentious day?

And once, long ago, I was good at kick-ball.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Don't laugh...I was a really good bowler and even aspired to be a pro at one time, but living life in bowling alleys just didn't appeal to me. I don't bowl anymore because I'm afraid I'll want to go back to it. I'm assuming my skills are gone.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

I know all the songs on Barney and nobody even listens to Barney anymore. What a waste of my superb talent.

I used to be a good soprano singer. Now I cant hit a high note if you paid me.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

Lots of things I used to be good at too; you know, I've never thought about this until you posted it, but it's so true.

BTW, I finally got you on my blogroll and my blogroll added to my site!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I used to be a very good tennis player, but once the kids came along, my time on the court was pretty much over.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

The French horn. I loved solos and contests. I was a French horn performance major in college. Now I can't get a gig to save my life! Sigh.

Also, ice skating, although I was never near professional status.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I don't even know anymore!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares