Saturday, July 23, 2005

What I Did. And Didn't.

While the rest of the country is having a heat wave, our weather is perfect. Sunny, warm, blue skies, gentle breezes. I planted orange and yellow flowers in my flowerpots outside and then we went to the pool. We tried to go in the van, but the battery is drained--again--and so after being completely buckled in, we all unbuckled and switched to the car. The battery in the van (our old 1991 Chevy Astro)was dead when we returned home from our trip last week, so before he left yesterday, my husband jump-started it and drove it around awhile to make sure it was working. Which it is not now.

The kids are incapable of simply staring out the car windows when we go anywhere and just leaving each other alone. They have circular conversations about video games or the restaurants they'll own one day. They plan what the menu will be and who will cook for whom and if they'll give discounts to relatives. Even my daughter has taken to pleading, "BE QUIET! STOP TALKING!" when we go somewhere in the car. They also cannot stop poking, touching, wrestling, grabbing, shoving and tormenting each other.

When I wasn't busy doing summertime stuff today (and laundry), I was busy creating a reciprocal blogroll which you can see in my sidebar over there to the right. I think I linked to everyone who links to me--so if your name is missing, let me know. I'm all about reciprocity and I love the fact that I just used that word ("reciprocity") in a sentence.

For those who were wondering, yes, I did make milkshakes--finally--last night. I am a woman of my word. Unless I forget.

My only regret for the day is that I failed to make my youngest son a Serengeti Trek t-shirt by ironing on the iron-on transfer. And I failed to get caught up on laundry, dust the house, clean the toilets, weed the garden, sweep up the patio, pick up clutter on the floor, empty the kitchen counter, scrub the George Foreman grill, iron those pants hanging on my exercise bike, put away my daughter's clothes, start an exercise program, write a best-selling novel, teach my youngest son to tie his shoes, "clean sweep" the storage room, clean the litter box, vacuum the floors, mop, organize the kitchen cabinets, make a plan for lunch tomorrow, pay bills, wash windows, sort through school-at-home materials, solve the crisis in the Middle East, and figure out what to do with my hair.

Other than that, it was a day well-lived.

10 Comments:

Blogger methatiam said...

A little reciprocation, please?

1:03 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Oh no!

I see another day of trying to figure out how to put stuff in my side bar...

I'll have to wait until it isn't a 100 degree heat index day. And my migraine is gone...

4:44 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Mel, when you're done revelling in your perfect summer weather could you throw a little reciprocity my way? I'm feeling neglected ;o)

http://pausingtoponder.com

5:20 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Wow! You have a lot of procities to recip. Try to stay humble, will ya?

5:26 AM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Can you imagine what kind of day you'd have had if you DID get all that done? Good thing you didn't, 'cause then I'd hate you for being too perfect. I like people more human than that :-)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

The important thing is: you got the milkshake made.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

And you have blonde hair.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

I wanna pull my hair out when we get in the car. The kids think it's time to argue over everything.I'm putting an end to the Slug bug game too. Who knew there were so many volkswagons out there to argue about.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Gem said...

I wondered why I wasn't on your blogroll, then realized you weren't on mine! I have you on my feed list, so I read your blog all the time, but somehow I didn't get you on my blogroll. Fixed now!

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares