Monday, November 15, 2004

Looking for the Moon

Ever since the eclipse, Babygirl clamors to go outside to look for the moon and stars. Tonight, YoungestBoy went with us. We all walked up the damp driveway for a clear view. Almost black clouds spread thinly over the barely-blue sky. We craned our heads back and saw a lone star directly above us.

As we pointed and talked about the star, I saw our neighbor coming around the bend, her fiesty lab leading the way.

This young, soft-spoken woman is a graduate of West Point. Her husband, a fellow graduate, was deployed to Iraq at the beginning of October.

I said, "Hey, how are you feeling?"

She patted her round, protruding belly and said, "Pretty good." She's one of those women who truly make pregnancy look easy and beautiful. She is due in exactly one week. Her mother will arrive on Friday to support her through the labor and delivery and beginning days of motherhood.

Babygirl and YoungestBoy laughed at the dog's antics while my neighbor and I made small talk.

How soon her life will change in every way. On one hand, I wanted to warn her: "In two years, you'll be standing in a chilly driveway looking for the moon!" On the other hand, I wanted to say, "Just wait! In two years, you'll be standing in a chilly driveway looking for the moon!"

She's about to begin the biggest adventure of her life. I just hope and pray that her husband will return to join her. Everytime I hear of a soldier dying in Mosul, my heart lurches a little.

War. If I were the queen, there would be none of that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I wish you were queen.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I second that, Judy.

6:07 AM  
Blogger The Narcissist said...

I take it you won't be the "off with their heads" sort of queen, then? You've got my vote!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares