Friday, September 24, 2004

Misbehavior

My youngest son likes to be a good boy. Last year, in kindergarten, the only time he got his "happy" symbol changed to a "sad" symbol when was Dominick got him in trouble and made him yell during class. Other than that, perfect behavior.

Now, in first grade, the children have four different colored cards. Yellow is good, pink less so. Green and blue are downright bad, involving missed recesses and visits to the principal's office and other horrors.

This afternoon--after a half-day of school--I say to my chubby kid, "So, how was school?"

He says, "Grrrrrreat," sounding exactly like Tony the Tiger.

I say, "Hey, have you had you card moved?" I expected him to say, "no."

And he said, "Yes!"

I raised my eyebrows in surprise and said, "You have?"

He said, "Psych!" And I said, "You have not?" And he said, "Psych!" We went back and forth like that for a minute.

Turns out, he did have his card moved a few days ago. I said, "What happened?"

He reported, "I got my mind lost and did crazy stuff."

I almost broke the first rule of mothering and fell to the floor laughing. But I did not break character and with a completely straight face, I said, "What kind of stuff?"

"I acted like it was recess and stuff."

I immediately grabbed pen and paper to write down "I got my mind lost," before I forgot. He said, "What? Mom! Are you going to take my allowance? What are you doing? Mom! Mom!"

I said, "No, I'm not taking your allowance. You got your card changed. That's punishment enough."

Then he went into the backyard to pick peppermint leaves for his big brother's mint potion (a muddy mixture in a lidded glass jar--it looks like poison, but smells minty fresh).

At one point today, I had eight kids in my house. And it's not even 3:00 p.m. yet. At least Babygirl napped today. The sun is shining, it's Friday, I get paid today and I survived my first week of schooling at home.

Hooray.

4 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

How can a green card be considered bad? Green is the color of all that is good! Silly system, that.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I had seven kids (between the ages of 20-23) and a 'grand-dog' over for breakfast today. They DO grow up and manage to sit respectably at the table. All but the grand-dog, who is the only one still here. My oldest son even brought along a loaf of bread he had made.

I only home schooled two of my kids some of the time, and the third one not at all. I love choices! I miss it. I find that I still chase around kids trying to teach them stuff. My area thrift store has been selling kids books for 10 cents since the beginning of summer. I have gotten some of the greatest stuff for my daughter who is heading towards a degree in education. I can't quit buying the stuff I wish I had when I was home schooling.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Melodee said...

Beth, my oldest two, the twins who are 11, are schooling at home using www.k12.com. They are technically enrolled in the public school district and all the materials are provided to us at no cost. It's pretty fabulous. My youngest will have the option of doing this internet program (though mostly their work is not done on-line at all, but in real books) whe he finishes 5th grade, too. We really like our public school system, but the twins have had difficulty achieving to their potential in a classroom setting. My first grader is doing great in public school.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Eight kids in the house! I had a couple of days like that last week...and so I didn't have journal entries. You are amazing to have days like that and keep on writing like you do..

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares