Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Snippets of Babygirl

This afternoon, Babygirl woke from her nap a little early. So I sat her on my bed with a snack and the television set on Boohbah and ironed a few shirts for my husband. I'm old-fashioned like that.

At one point, I was in the closet, putting away clothes, when Babygirl stepped inside with me and said, "I peed on the floor!" And remembering last week when she did indeed pee on the closet floor, I said, "Yes, you did, didn't you?" Then she cackled and said, "I pee on daddy's shoes!" And I said, "Oh no, don't pee on daddy's shoes." And her eyes widened, she crouched, waved her arms dramatically and said, "That would be bad!" She said "baaaaaad" like she was in a music video.

It's so funny when she says, "I'm tired," because she drags out the "i" sound and sounds like she's from the Deep South. She says, "Ah'm tahred."

Tonight after dinner, we were sitting in our newly arranged living room and Babygirl decided to get off my lap. She turned and made a sudden movement and before I could say "be careful," she clunked her forehead right into the corner of the coffee table.

She opened her mouth to scream, but the pain was too great, so she just clutched her forehead for a long moment and finally the sound came and then she screamed.

My husband rushed down the stairs to see what happened. There was no blood, just an indentation in her little forehead, which immediately began to swell and bruise.

He looked at me as if I had body-slammed her, forehead first, in into the wooden corner on purpose. He asked, "What happened?" and I said, "She slipped and fell--could you get me some ice in a washcloth?"

He delivered the ice cubes, but before that, Babygirl sat up and said, "I okay." That didn't stop my husband from questioning me as if I were Ted Bundy, on death row, accused of a yet another felony. Over and over, I told him how she hit her head before I could stop her. I'm not sure he's convinced of my innocence.

But I have two words for him: fractured collarbone. When TwinBoyA was three years old, he fell off the couch while my husband was the parent in charge. He couldn't exactly explain how it happened, but the kid ended up with a fractured collarbone and it wasn't my fault!

Babygirl will have a big, purple bump on her forehead. And yeah, I wasn't able to save her. Time for the full-body bubblewrap, including padded helmet for twenty-four hour use.

If my husband keeps looking at me like that, I just might pee in his shoes.

7 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

So sorry to hear about Babygirl's new booboo. We had a similar incident happen here a few months ago. Ours happened in the process of getting off her (oblivious) father's lap and she ended up with a big bump and bruise across the bridge of her nose.

"I pee on daddy's shoes!" Too funny!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

Poor little thing.

I believe in your innocents : )

Ha! I love the ending -- you'd pee in his shoes. Good one LOL. I really enjoy your blog.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Poor Babygirl! There is no getting around the bruised look when you are two years old though...Maybe it *will* help her to feel better if you let her at those shoes....;)

~Tina

8:12 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Oooohhhhh, those coffee table bruises are so exotic looking, aren't they? Poor baby.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine the looks you get when your 2 year old breaks an arm and and ankle in a span of six weeks. Not good at all! LOL
I hope Grace is okay, she sounds like such a fun girl! ~Mary

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha! Your last comment was great! good laugh, thanks


Michelle C

8:14 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Poor Babygirl.

I was surfing various blogs and just wanted to say I'm enjoying reading yours. It's entertaining, thoughtful, and well written. :)

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares