Thursday, September 09, 2004

Loneliness

Last night, as we watched David Letterman, my husband said, "So, what's new on the board?" Usually I regale him with stories of happenings on the message board. When I discovered I was pregnant in January 2002, I nosed around a bit and landed on this board for women expecting babies in September of 2002. I've participated avidly ever since, through crazy debates and educational threads and laugh-out-loud hysteria and drive-by postings by trouble-makers and the mundane, everyday stuff.

Two weeks ago, I decided I'd had enough. That was the day I wrote this. Although I had a lot of laughs and sharpened my detective skills (I'm just warning you--don't lie to me unless you have a better memory than I do) and made some excellent friends, but I just got slapped once too many times by women who think pastor's wives ought to be vacant, spiritual, uncontroversial and sickly sweet all the time.

And just because of my marriage. Nothing else. Somehow my marriage to a pastor requires me to be perfect, though if I were, I would most definitely hear, "You think you're perfect, don't you!?" Nevermind that these same women are regular church-attenders with similar religious backgrounds to mine. At any rate, lest this turn into actual Gossip, I'll just leave it at that.

I had enough. Enough. I just shut the door without saying good-bye and crept away.

So last night. My husband says, "What's new on the board?" and I say, "I left it." I was on my side, facing away from him, and he said, "What?" And I said, "I left the board."

He said, "Why?" I said, "I just had enough."

We watched David Letterman in silence then and my heart was so solid and heavy that it pinned me to the bed. I felt like I'd swallowed an ever-expanding balloon that filled with hot breath I could not exhale. Tears began to slip from my eyes and pool on the side of my nose where my glasses formed a little dam.

I felt so lonely, so completely all alone, even lying next to my husband, just on the other side of the house from my sleeping children.

At last, his breathing deepened and I considered going into the bathroom and curling on the floor and crying until I died. But I didn't want to wake him. So, I gingerly reached for a tissue and his soft snoring stopped and he said, "Are you all right?" I said, "Yes," but he could hear the sadness, I guess, and so he reached over and hugged me--stiff and resistant and said, "I'm sorry about your board."

I said, "It just sucks to have no friends."

Even as I said it, I knew it to by untrue, but sometimes the feelings are more real than reality. He said, "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry." And I said, "It's probably just hormonal." I considered telling him how lonely I felt, how alone, what a horrible wife I am and what an impatient mother and how truly, if I weren't here only Babygirl would be damaged forever--or maybe she wouldn't even remember me in a few months and then I thought how YoungestBoy would miss going on rides at the fair with me and so, I said nothing at all.

At last, he rolled back over and slept and I dabbed at my eyes and wiped my congested nose and felt utterly miserable and lonely.

How is it possible to feel so lonely and to long to be alone at the same time?

This morning, I woke with swollen eyes, no worse for the wear.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

I was just doing a little blogwalk and I found your site. I did read this post and the one you linked to about Being The Pastor's Wife. You're going straight to hell for that one. I'm totally kidding. :o)

It's not easy making friends when you're an adult female, period. I work full time. I have a family to take care of. When I get off of work I have to do mom things and when I have free time it doesn't usually occur to me to go out unless it's with my husband. Of course I have friends but honestly most of them are through him because he does stop off for beers after work and so on.

For what it's worth both were well-written posts.

Kat
www.mostlyfluff.com (I moved from blogger)

2:56 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Hey there, Mel. I'm glad you decided not to curl up on the bathroom floor and cry until you died.

I'd miss you and such. :)

Isn't being a woman fun?
Hang in there, you.

Suzanne

3:39 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

Hi, I just followed your comment from the sj.javamma. I saw you live in the Pacific Northwest (I live in Oregon) and thought I'd drop by.

We just moved, we're having a baby in five weeks (if she's on time) and I don't know anyone in my town. I totally rely on my blog for communication to other people. I know it's hard and I even feel lonely sometimes for no reason at all. All my friends are in a box (my monitor) right now. :-)

I guess I just wanted to say I relate. I have no answers. I just relate.
Take care!

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melodee,

I can honestly say I miss you terribly and the board isn't the same. I haven't posted in days. Doesn't seem worth it to post anymore. I miss your posts that make me fall over laughing when I need it the most. I'm surviving the withdrawl by reading your Blog! LOL Just wanted you to know that you're loved and missed.

Dawn

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to read that you are having a tough time right now. I don't remember how I discovered your blog, but I really enjoy it. I don't have any kids, but I love reading about your escapades with yours. Hormones or not, life sucks sometimes. Truly good friends are hard to come by. This sad time will pass, and soon you will feel better. Have hope! Thank you for sharing such heart-felt angst with such honesty. You have many internet friends!
Diane
http://knittingzeal.typepad.com/knitting_zeal/

4:46 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Melodee, I just want to echo what Dawn said. I miss your posts on the board as well, and have found it to be a lot less entertaining than it used to be. I'm glad there is still your blog to read.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melodee, I'm glad your still around in blogland. The board has died since you left. I miss you! ~Mary

5:02 AM  
Blogger Motherhood for the Weak said...

I'm sorry.

I've been chased off of boards by Christian fundamentalists and they didn't even know I was a pk. And I cried too.

I have since noticed there is a strong fundamentalist prescence on some of these message boards and you have to tread carefully lest ye be judged and sentenced to hell by some woman who, of course, has a direct line to God and you know God loves HER bestest of all.

As I always say, if this is an example of people going to heaven, please send me to hell.

Nothing makes you more aware of the inconsistencies and odd ironies of religion and faith than being a pastor or a member of their family.

Maybe the answer is an online community just for Pastors' spouses?

You are not alone.

Michelle

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you on the board. I've tried my best to stay out of anything controversial that goes on...just not my thing. I've always enjoyed reading your posts. Us originals shouldn't be leaving. I know what you mean about feeling lonely...I've been suffering myself since the miscarriage. I hope you come back {{{Melodee}}}. I wish I lived closer we could be friends (I'm a terrible mother as well!). Cheryl (candygirl)

2:32 PM  
Blogger Smoov said...

I miss you on the board. But like Jen, I think I am fading away too. Friday I had some time to read the board as my class ended very early. I posted some stuff but then realized, as I was reading, there was no you. It isn't the same without you. All those hand-slappers who would chime in during debates must be missing you terribly now too! And really, all of the lurkers and posters loved our arguments, it was like watching a train wreck! Anyway, I am still here reading your blog!

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea. Being a Pastor's wife does not mean you aren't a person with thoughts and opinions of your own. The board is the only place that I talk to people on a daily basis. I do have other friends, but they have no kids. I feel alone too, sometimes. I am sorry that it has come to this. I enjoyed your posts.

Jali97spav (Lisa)

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey its me savanah- The board is slow, and i read your blog. I hope you feel better, it sucks to feel depressed. Maybe you can come back and argue with me (we used to have good debates) Hang in there.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares