Sunday, May 07, 2006

Helping Out a Friend

A few days ago, I received an email plea from a friend of mine. She says this:

"We've been invited to a luncheon that will have a round robin reading of poems and short stories. The problem is that years ago Derek and I read several books of short stories by an author and now we can't remember his (her?) name. The stories were something along the lines of dark comedy or macabre...not horror..just some sick twist at the end....like the main character realizes in his rage he has run his wife off the road instead of his neighbor....

I think the author was british. I think the author was male."

Anybody have any ideas? I am stumped, so it's your turn to be brilliant and helpful.

9 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Saki, maybe? (HH Munro)

5:25 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Sounds like Roald Dahl's 'Tales of the Unexpected".

6:08 AM  
Blogger saussie said...

Could it be Jeffrey Archer?

6:15 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Could it be Dylan Thomas?

7:13 AM  
Blogger the lizness said...

try classicreader.com, there are lots of short stories on there

7:54 AM  
Blogger Leslee said...

Could be an author I might like to read!

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I'm very intrigued as I would have put money on it being Roald Dahl and his "Tales of the Unexpected".

12:15 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Is it Edward Gorey? He is British and awfully macabre.

4:07 PM  
Blogger ilovecheese said...

I say it has to be Roald Dahl and his collection of stories Kiss Kiss or Switch Bitch. He fits the description.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares