Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Spring Break: Day Two

My husband rocks. He took my boys out for lunch, then to the church for three hours today. "A three hour tour, a three hour tour." (Sorry. I suddenly started singing the Gilligan's Island theme song.) The youth pastor at church has video games and a pool table set up, so my boys love to play there, but rarely do.

So, this afternoon, all the little ones were sleeping (except my daughter, but she was upstairs watching t.v. having a "quiet time") and I savored the silence. And later, to make up for my calmness, I lost my mind entirely and decided to make stir-fried rice and eggrolls from scratch while watching four little ones. My big boys were all outside waving swords and sticks around with the neighbor boys. The little ones were playing in the family room, stealing toys from one another and squealing at each other.

And then I looked out the window and saw branches falling from giant trees across the way. I squinted and looked closer and saw lumberjacks (can I call them lumberjacks?) perched way up the trunk of the trees, chainsawing branches off one by one as they climbed higher. I hollered for all the kids to come and see. The lumberjacks (arborists?) climbed the tree with spiked boots and ropes and when they got within ten feet of the top, they lopped the whole top off and we watched as it seemed to float down. Then they moved eight or ten feet down and lopped off another section, until they reached the ground again.

I'd never seen a giant tree removed before, so I was fascinated and, I admit, a bit distracted from my cooking extravaganza. And the kids were fussy and crabby and my daughter was bossy and then my trying-to-help-son barely burned his finger on the stove and I felt terrible, but HONESTLY, I don't want help I JUST . . . WANT . . . TO . . . COOK . . . IN . . . PEACE . . . AND . . . QUIET!!!

A-hem.

Anyway, cooking dinner before all the kids go home is always an exercise in juggling and not just ordinary three-ball juggling. No. It's like juggling flaming swords with baby chicks perched on the handles. Very delicate and someone is likely to get hurt. Or yelled at.

But the eggrolls were delicious.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeana said...

Hi, Mel! Lauren from Created for His Glory sent me. She said I would like your blog. She was right. I'll be back!! Thanks!

3:54 AM  
Blogger Diane Viere said...

Spring Break, kids gone, lumberjacks, AND egg rolls! WOW...I wanna be you!

:) DIane

6:28 AM  
Blogger Trina said...

Flaming swords with baby chicks perched on the handles, makes life as a Mommy sound so intense. Im gonna remember that for my resume some day, so much cooler sounding!!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Now exactly where do you get off making eggrolls from scratch?

You're making me look bad!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Shalee said...

You have all the fun... (Not counting the plague though.)

Now that is a recipe I want!

10:20 AM  
Blogger dinodoc said...

RUN, trees, RUN!!!

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, there's such a thing as eggrolls made from scratch? Wow. :)

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares