Sunday, April 02, 2006

America's Next Top Model Cuts With Scissors

My daughter wore her pajamas to church this morning. Saturday night, she'd mentioned that she intended to wear them, the Carter's footie-jammies with horizontal lavender and baby blue stripes, but I didn't really believe her. (Actual pajamas not pictured, but boy, what an outfit that is, huh?) She'd also picked out a yellow and blue dress with gauzy ruffles around the hem.

But this morning, when she woke at 8:35 a.m. (which in her uninformed brain was only 7:35 a.m., but now it's Daylight Savings Time, SURPRISE!), she told me she would wear her pajamas. And I said, "Okay." We had to leave by 8:45 a.m. . . . well, really, we should have been at church at 8:45 a.m., but let's not quibble over details. I tucked her dress, tights, shoes and sweater into my bag, just in case.

I taught Sunday School to three preschoolers and then my daughter and I headed upstairs to claim our rightful position in the second pew on the left side, right behind my boys who, judging from the greasiness of their pre-teen heads of hair, failed to use shampoo again last night during their showers. A lady behind me noted my daughter's unusual attire and said, "You're a more relaxed mom than I was!" and in the pause between that and her next statement, I wondered if I should take offense, but then she said, "Good for you!" I said, "Well, I figured, what does it matter, really?" As I said to my husband tonight, if you can't wear your pajamas to church when you are three years old, when can you?

We lasted through all the stuff that happens before the sermon begins, then headed to the fellowship hall where we could see Daddy preaching on closed-circuit television while also running around in circles (her, not me). My daughter is seemingly ravenous on Sunday mornings . . . but the truth is, she knows that the kitchen holds loot, desirable loot like cookies and brownies and sometimes, cake. This morning, she feasted on Hostess "donettes," those small chocolate covered ones. She also brought a cookie to our table, a snickerdoodlish cookie.

The cookie sat. I sat. My daughter sat. Then my daughter, wanting to shake things up and shake things out, asked if she could put pepper on the cookie.

"No," I said.
She asked again.
"No."
She said, "But I want to put pepper on the cookie."
"I said NO!"
She asked again.
I enunciated very carefully, "Look . . . at . . . me. I . . . said . . . NO."
She added a little whine to her request and asked again.
"Listen to me. The answer is NO!" I used my most stern voice, the one just short of screaming my head off, because after all, I was wearing pantyhose, sitting in the fellowship hall at church.

She paused, smiled sweetly and said, "I love your dress."

* * *

(These tiny cut-out pictures are her handiwork. They are the actual size . . . my daughter is good with scissors. I'm thinking she'll either be a hair stylist, a surgeon or, maybe she'll operate first, then style her patient's hair.)

* * *
A Note to Clarify:
She had rejected the cookie already. She merely wanted to make a huge pepper and salt mess on the table, using the cookie as an excuse. I did not want to clean up a big mess, so I told her no. I have no objection to peppering cookies under other circumstances. (What? I personally do not pepper my cookies.)

20 Comments:

Blogger momto3blessings said...

Too cute. My saying is always " I need to pick my battles" . Is it really that big of a deal ? Usually it isnt. So letting her go to church in her pajamas at 3 is Fine. They are hard headed at that age. I have a 3 year old daughter so i know. LOL Good for you for letting her go in her pj's.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

"I love your dress."
They really do know how to stop us in our tracks, don't they!

4:21 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I love your daughter!

But, pray tell, why could she NOT put pepper on the cookies? The German's have been doing it for years!

I once let my begging daughter have a bite of an unsweetened chocolate bar. It didn't end well.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I wish I could go to church in my pajamas. Sure would cut down on prep time!

As for the pepper on the cookie, if you had let her do it, she probably never would have done it again!!! LOL!!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Diane Viere said...

Pick you battles! Win the war!

Diane

6:26 AM  
Blogger Goslyn said...

Love it. Pajamas in church. Good for you.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

I bet we'd all be surprised to know pepper is probably GOOD on a cookie!

Maybe she'll be the next Food TV star :)

8:20 AM  
Blogger ... Paige said...

This is so sweet!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

She's adorable. Treasure these moments!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Shalee said...

I love it! Another mother who chose not to pick the dressing battle as one to win. See how much easier it was to get her ready... Besides, isn't church where we should be really comfortable and ourselves?

11:20 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Perhaps she will begin a new fashion trend.

I think I may have been tempted to let her try the pepper, because I am a bad mommy that way!

12:09 PM  
Blogger ~Jennifer said...

Very funny! I thought it was interesting that you let her wear pajamas to church, but didn't let her put pepper on her cookie. I probably would have drawn opposite lines, but that's only because I tend to worry too much about what people think, and the pajamas would be a very visible reminder (in my head only) of what an imperfect mother I am. But "go ahead honey, have some nasty pepper on your cookie." Nah, you're way is definitely the better way. :-D

By the way, I added you to my blogroll.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

What a hoot!

Do you plan to explain that creative little outfit in the top picture? This child may be trying to tell you she'll become a designer.

Or an English major. :)

12:58 PM  
Blogger Leslee said...

I just stumbled onto your blog today, too cute!!!

I love your daugher already! She's very clever and I hope you cherish ever moment!

1:33 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Ha! So cute!

Her dad's the boss man, she can wear anything she wants.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I'da let her pepper the cookie... and probably even sampled a bite myself. :)

Love the outfit. She looks quite tall in that picture!

Suzanne

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lurker here. Yes, my almost 3 yr old went to church with his "superman" blanket tied around his neck last Sunday. Since he'd been wearing it for 2 straight weeks.... whaddaya gonna do? I just wish it had been less filthy!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Just found you through Susie's Space.

Your daughter sounds adorable.

I agree with your approach to the jammies. Sometimes you just have to pick your battles!

7:07 PM  
Blogger blueyedtracy said...

Ok, so what is it with being 3 and needing to put salt and/or pepper on things?? My son is OBSESSED with using the salt and pepper - there doesn't even need to be food involved - just shake some on the table and dab your finger in it and lick. Gross! Apparently the 3-yr-old palate is not to refined? Thanks for sharing.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Dapoppins said...

Okay, boys showering and not using the shampoo! Ocasionally my husband does this! Or he will use soap, as i a bar of soap! i don't understand it. I thought washing your hair was one of the reason's for the shower in the first place...and the PJ's thing, you set and example, and I think it was a great one. What is more important, looking like the perfect PERFECT or loving God and obeying him by being at church...Good for you.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares