Monday, April 03, 2006

Spring Break: Day One

Today is the first day of Spring Break. And yet, I am not posting from a cruise ship. Alas, I've never even been on a cruise ship.

If I were on a cruise ship, I would tell you about the fabulous pools, the magnificent meals, the scintillating conversations with strangers. If I were on a cruise ship, I'd definitely have hot-pink painted toenails and a tan. If I were on a cruise ship, I'd be well-rested and my Oprah magazine would be tattered and wrinkled from being splashed poolside.

But I'm not. My magazine is unblemished. My skin is glow-in-the-dark white. My toenails are hidden in white fuzzy socks. My conversations include discussions about snack foods ("I want an apple with no skin,") and taking turns on the computer ("That's not fair! It's my turn! Wah-wah-wah!") I do have a pool in my backyard but it's actually a sandbox full of collected rainwater. The meals around here depend on my creativity and crockpot.

I could be well-rested if I had any sense and went to bed eight hours before I had to wake up. If I went to bed early, though, I'd sacrifice the nighttime silence and that is a price too high to pay. I may be sleepy tomorrow, but at least I will be sane. (One can hope.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Amie said...

That nighttime silence is excatly why I was out of bed at 4:30A :) You can't beat it!

3:06 AM  
Blogger methatiam said...

It could be worse,
you could be?.. say,???.. uhm???..
thinking?????.. thinking

I?ll get back to you, ok?
;0}

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Sigh* My magazine is disgustingly wrinkle-free, too.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Trina said...

I was chatting online way to late with a girlfriend last night, while babyboy was enjoying his most restful 3 hours of the night. I told her I was going to be exhausted, but I just couldnt sacrifice the sweet silence of no kids. Its hard a call though. Exhaustion or Insanity? I guess I keep choosing exhaustion, is that insane of me? lololol

8:11 AM  
Blogger dinodoc said...

You don't want to go on a cruise ship...you've already had your gastrointestinal virus for the year. See? It's all for the best.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Dapoppins said...

I love that evening time without kids...makes the day more special.
and I can read a book too.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

I'm up for the whole cruise ship thing myself - need a companion? Our spring break was last week, and alas - I worked all week - and the 12 year old was bored mostly.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Spring break here too AND the husband is gone for two weeks. Managing the 4 kiddies on my own all day long, you'd think bedtime would come early for me. But, no, my head hasn't seen the pillow before midnight since last Thursday. The silence and the solitude are more important.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I love it after the kids go to bed at night and I can ponder around the house or be on the computer with no background noise. That time to myself is something I really look forward too. It helps me hold onto my sanity.

I read your blog all of the time and have added it to my blogroll.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Nighttime silence is the best. It is possible to love the nighttime silence too much, though, staying up too late and then hating life the next day instead of being merely sleepy. A fine line.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares