Thursday, February 02, 2006

I Need Therapy. Or Sunshine.

It's a minute until 11 p.m., my self-imposed bedtime, yet I haven't blogged. I spent my morning reading the boys' history book to them, quizzing them, discussing U.S. history with them, waiting for them to find a sharpened pencil and to stop grabbing at each other. I learned more than I did in high school, and not just about history.

And so, I didn't get as much laundry done as I should have. And my formerly clean kitchen is a disaster.

Tonight, I'm feeling jealous of the most famous Mommy Blogger of all, which is undeniably the stupidest feeling I've had this week. I want someone to give me a plane ticket and sit me at a table and think what I have to say about blogging and motherhood is worthwhile. I also want to fit into her pants.

As I said, stupid emotion. I can't even believe I'm confessing.

What else? Well, today, our main television died with a click and the smell of smoke. The picture had been flickering and fading in recent days, so I was not surprised, but my 3-year old daughter was sorrowful and said, "Mommy, I'm sorry I broke the t.v." I went right out tonight and bought a new one at Target. To my great mirth, a teen aged boy was sent to fetch my 27-inch television and load it into my car. I could have beat him arm-wrestling and I certainly outweigh him. And my skin is clearer. But still.

He and his cohort finagled that television out of its gigantic box and into my front seat. I probably should have given him a tip. (Tip: Never mix bleach and ammonia.)

Tomorrow's Friday, which should bring waves of joy to my heart. And yet. Saturday my husband will be attending a daylong workshop. Woe is me. I thought about taking the children somewhere on Saturday, but honestly, the boys would be annoyed if I interfered with their Saturday morning cartoons and my daughter's nap time is at 1:30 p.m. Kids! How can we have fun if they are so inflexible!?

My desk looks like an office store exploded.

Could I possibly be any more inspiring and fun?

Now, go read someone with 40,000 readers a day.

15 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

"And my skin is clearer" Ha ha!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Mel, I felt the same way reading about hers and some of the other women's experiences.

We can both be pathetic, jealous women together.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Joelle said...

I thought to myself, "Who is the most famous Mommy Blogger?!" I clicked on the link and said, "Oh, her." My next thought, "There's something to be said for quiet, thoughtful prose with a bit of humor thrown in". Glad you aren't too jealous to quit writing your blog. ;-)
And your skin is so clear too!

4:49 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

But I love reading you, Mel!

What you know how to do, which many writers don't, is to make the ordinary interesting.

Really. I would not know you if we passed on the side walk.

Yet again, you pass out pieces of your heart, and those I recognize.

(you also have the hardest 'word verification' letter combinations i have ever encountered!)

6:06 AM  
Blogger Mitchelina said...

but I like you. And I only average 6 readers a day, no big deal. ;-)

7:05 AM  
Blogger Saramnou said...

I read 3 blogs every day , the "other" one you mentioned and yours are in the 3. If that means anything ;)
If I had the means I would totally send you to Amseterdam, I could hardly send you to a movie about Amsterdam. Sorry.
~ You are an incredible writer and person, and I think the reason I like both of your sites is that your real and honest, so don't be sorry for being Jealous. Just think of the pluses you don't have to have your Husband around all the time because you make so much money on internet adds he quit his job!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

flusterated. Everytime my neighbor uses this word I giggle inside. Thanks for the giggle today.

9:33 AM  
Blogger yum said...

Melody,

Thats what I like about reading your blog: Your "realness" (is that a made up word?). Well, that and your writing style.

I can relate to your feelings on motherhood, especially with "reluctant student"! Except I think youre doing a much better job than I am.

If it helps, I havent even seen that "Other blog"... yet. Now the suspense is killing me.

By the way, my current fav word, though not made up, is CANOODLING!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Ariel said...

I like your site. Someday I hope to be a famous mommy blogger too. I'll stop back by.

10:13 AM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Dooce is entertaining.

You've got soul. It feels more real.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

You know, it's funny you think her blog is so great - I bookmarked it about 2 weeks ago - and I am unbookmarking it (is that a word??)because I don't like her writing style. Not once has she made me laugh out loud (like you do) and I guess I don't like reading the vulgarity she likes to insert. Anyway, I am not impressed at her "blog stardom". You, on the other hand, better keep writing, as you are the first one I read every day!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

I thought Dooce was boring.

Mel,
"perseverating" is a verb that is often used in connection with behavior issues related to autism, around here. I've never heard it defined, but can understand it in context. I think it's when a child starts doing something repetitively, and won't/can't quit.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Krisco said...

Mel,
I love your site!

And I am a tad bit envious of the dooce et al freebies too....but on the up side, it's interesting to watch the rest of the world try to figure a way to wrangle into the blog world. Interesting indeed. And if it results in free trips for some - cool! Now they just need to spread the love. : )

(Hey, we all read each others! That should count for something!! : )

9:27 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

I am not a fan of dooce. I've only been there twice both times to see what the hype is all about. And just for the record if I had that many readers I'd quit blogging. I only have an average of about 250 readers a day. If I get to 500 I'm moving my blog. I want to stay in touch with who is reading my site. The more people that read the more chance for pedophiles and wackos to be a part of the readership.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Smoov said...

Mel, I used to be an avid Dooce reader but it got boring for me. The same stuff, over and over again. Her writing style to me, is kind of like reading those "easy reads" books, the ones you can blow through in a day or so and they don't take a lot out of you to read. Your writing is heavier, more thoughtful and it requires me to invest myself while I am reading it. I can't read you and listen to a child babbling on in my ear! I must focus and shut out everything else so I can absorb what you say. I love that kind of reading! That is the kind of reading that relaxes me. I make the analogy of Dooce with the book "The Devil Wears Prada" and you to a book like "The Kite Runner". The first I read in 2 days and it made me giggle. The latter I read over a week and I really was moved by the it, thought about it a lot and talked about it a lot.

I still read Dooce from time to time, I think I just like the pictures mostly!

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares