Wednesday, February 01, 2006

At Least My Kitchen's Clean

I tend to be moody, morose, melodramatic. No, really. And I used to nourish that part of me, that glass-half-empty, woe-is-me, gloom-despair-and-agony-on-me personality. Your dad is sick? Mine died. Your pants are tight? Mine won't zip. Your hair is frizzy? Uh, did you see what is rooted to my head?

That sad fog creeps in tonight, blotting out the horizon and erasing the forest, but not the trees. All I know is that my Reluctant Student has issues with sequencing, with memory, with his multiplication tables. I'm in the lull between reading books. January 2006 was the rainiest January ever here. My right pointer finger hurts. I'm retaining water and I have a cavity but no dental insurance.

See how good I am at that? I wandered through my entire adolescence in a melancholy mood. I can mope with the best of them. I know that once I start, I could end up drowning in my own bad press.

At least now I know it's just a mood, not a fact. The rain will stop. The fog will lift. A forest lurks behind the trees.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Oh, if we should mope together, it would be quite a mope fest. I was mopey Tuesday and my friend decided to pray for me right there on the telephone. It really did help.

And, just so you know, Oklahoma is burning up because we haven't had any measurable rain in months. (waaaghh!)

5:52 AM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Mel,
I am really sorry about your lack of dental insurance. I hope you can get that cavity filled, anyway. Bring it up as a prayer request in church. Maybe they'll help you out.

6:38 AM  
Blogger tab said...

Too much of a good thing is really never a good thing is it? Too much rain or no rain and have everything burning up like here. My son had a science project for the science fair--he was doing something about whether a bigger rain gauage would be more accurate than a smaller one. Well, the only problem we had was LACK OF RAIN, MOISTURE OR ANYTHING before his presentation. We did manage to get an itty bitty bit once...So, he was not able to prove or disprove his theory (and he still took 3rd place). He did say that the bigger guage was easier to read though.

I'll send some of our sunny skies (which is just plain weird this time of year) if you'll send some rain my way....maybe that'll help you get out of your mood.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Goslyn said...

Ah Mel, I feel your pain. My week started out that way too.

Glad you can put it in perspective, though.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a fellow NW'ner I know exactally what you are saying. Here in Portland we are breaking rain records also (4th wettest ever and still raining), so it is gloomy, gloomy, gloomy. My mood tends to match also.
Blech.


~K!


P.S. Thanks, Mel :)

8:12 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I've had a migraine all week.

My husband is working out of town.

Aunt Flo came early and brought her new husband, Uncle (name withheld). I do not like her new husband at all.

Today I have to make an appointment to put my dog to sleep Saturday. Stepping in a warm pile poop this morning proved to me that I can wait no longer. Sometimes she can't see and has no idea what is happening.

My mother fell again yesterday. Three times since Christmas.

BUT......................

Drum roll please!

I'M A GRANDMA!!!

All this awful stuff, but there is a little armful of joy to cuddle, and that has made all of the rest bearable!

But, I respect your mopiness, and wish you sunshine!

9:06 AM  
Blogger The Bizza said...

I'd challenge you to a "doom-off" but that sounds a wee-bit insane.

Instead, I wish you well, and may you have a quick end to the dreaded melancholy state.

9:21 AM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

It is a mopey time of year.

We have what alledges to be "excellent" dental insurance, yet anything beyond a cleaning seems to always cost us hundreds of dollars. So, I personally choose not to believe in the tooth ferry nor in the value of dental insurance.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

And you know how to code HTML all by yourself!

Hang in there...

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know, I know, I keep telling myself, "this too shall pass."

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares