Monday, January 23, 2006

A Whole Lotta Nothing

Monday again. Well, almost Tuesday now, actually. The sun shone today, perhaps in celebration of yesterday's Seattle Seahawks victory over the Carolina Panthers. (Sorry, MaryKay!) For once, I'll have a reason to watch the Superbowl, other than the commercials. What's sad is that my husband, the true Sports Fan in our house, didn't get to watch the game at all. He preached yesterday, then had a meeting, then did a funeral, then had another meeting. I watched it in his stead, however, and thus had a messy house to clean up this morning.

But good news! We have a fancy new car in our driveway tonight.

But bad news! It's a rental car, providing us transportion since our pathetic little 1993 Mercury Sable abruptly stopped running this afternoon while my husband drove home from a lunch meeting.

But good news! This happened in town, nor far from the church. If the car stalled on I-5, he might have been in a terrible crash. We hope it's something simple and cheap to repair. We're trying to hold off another year before we buy a new car. The Deathtrap (aka our 1991 Chevy Astro van) has already died. Now we just have to figure out what to do with the corpse. We're down to one feeble car.

For the past seven minutes, my eyes have wandered this red-striped family room while I half-listen to the news and try to pin down some of the thoughts that drifted through my brain today. I usually contemplate at least one (seemingly) profound thought in the shower each morning and often watch as clouds of ideas breeze through during the day, but alas, this is a day in which my brain has been swept clean, possibly by too many cans of Diet Coke with Lime, too little sleep, too much laundry and chilly fingers and toes.

I got nothing. But have no fear! I'll be back tomorrow.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I enjoyed your quiet, low-key entry today. We will look forward to "profound thoughts" tomorrow. :-)

4:38 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Your husbands busy schedule reminded me of days past, thank God!

My son played "meeting" at the age other children were playing school. He would put his little chairs in a circle and want to know how everyone felt.

As a single parent I think I took him along to too many meetings. Your children are lucky to have such a lovely mother.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

I drive an old 91 Honda -- only 85,000 though. My husband has a 97 Honda -- but it has 150,000 miles. We are due for a new "used" car soon too. I hate parting with the $$$ though.

8:07 AM  
Blogger ... Paige said...

I have an idea-about the "profound thoughts" a small tape recorder. it will fit in your pocket & you just push record..say what you want & push stop. Don't have to look for a pen or paper. They are fairly inexpensive. Mine was $20 & I love it [I sound real strange & have a very southern drawl} Oh well! Heres to being profound!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

I had an interesting time of it with vehicles as well. It seems one of my neighbours took exception to the placement of one of my vehicles - beside the driveway, beside the OTHER vehicle. Bylaw said "because it isn't on a "developed pad"" I had to move it. Where? I moved the tent trailer, however awkwardly, to accommodate the van at the back of the property... the ground was too soft - it didn't work. Sooo... said van is now on the front street waiting for a home. It's living on the street... poor street van...

4:41 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Go Sea Hawks! Not that I've watched any of the games this season. Just living near them makes it feel like it's my victory.

6:09 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

God bless the Mercury Sable. It is the most underrated of all non-luxury automobiles on the market. We had some really rich neighbors growing up...rich for our standards anyway, they were college professors. They were the first to buy a "gold" car, when metallic colored cars started coming into fashion. It was a Mercury Sable...in 1986, which I cannot believe was 20 years ago. They drove it for two years...then we bought it from them. My dad drove it until I turned sixteen. I bought it from him. I drove it for two years until I went to college and every summer in between. Then my sister drove it. My 17-year-old brother is STILL DRIVING IT, and it has never required any serious, out-of-the-ordinary repair work. It has no air conditioning and the cigarette lighter frequently turns itself on at random for entire nights leaving the battery dead in the morning, but that's nothing that can't be dealt with.

You never hear people praising the glory of the Mercury Sable. It just isn't a sex car. But, damn that thing is like a...a....what's that watch that takes a licking and keeps on ticking?

In terms of buying a new one. It sounds crazy, but don't rule out ebay Motors (it is a separate deal from regular ebay) if you're looking. They never have as good of deals as "the very old man across the street who is selling his Buick that is sitting at the end of his driveway with 300 miles on it for $3000", but the cars always go for lower than if you were to buy from a used dealership and almost always if you were to buy from a private party via the classifieds. And all of the sales are local, so you can always go see it and test drive and do all the regular car-buying stuff.

A few years ago we were seriously, seriously strapped for cash and just needed a car for my husband to drive to the burbs to job interviews in, as we were living in the city at the time We bought a very old, very beat up, but very reliable Volvo for $750 from ebay motors. It totally got us through and we later sold it for $1200.

We bought an older BMW last year, also on ebay, for $5000 with freakishly low mileage on it. We've sunk a few thousand into it on some standard older-car needs, but the thing runs like a dream and will (crossing my fingers) probably last a long time.

5:59 AM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Oooh, that was a long comment. And I just claimed the Mercury Sable isn't a "sex car". It may very well be, I wouldn't know. I drove it when I was 16, and when I was 16, teenagers were a bit more innocent than they are now! And, let's face it, I wouldn't have gotten any anyway.

What I do know, and meant to say, is that it isn't a "sexy car".

Ha!

6:02 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Since I'm from North Carolina and only about 25 miles from Panthers stadium, I can't say 'congratulations' on the Seahawks victory.

However, I will be pulling for them in Detroit because they do have some really cool-looking helmets!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

I often feel this way when I sit down to write. I am sure I had a great thought sometime during the day...but I can't always retrieve it.

Will your husband actually get to watch the big game?

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares