Tuesday, July 13, 2004

An Open Letter to Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

I received your comment today in response to my post about Michael Moore:

Anonymous said: "Thankfully there are very few responses to your narrow-minded and bigoted perspective to Michael Moore's documentary Fahrenheit 9/11. It gives me hope that I am not alone and you represent the minority. It is outrageous that people can actually be this ignorant after all that has been revealed to support the so-called "satire" exposed by Michael Moore.

Shame on you for condemning him for having the respect to not show the charred and mangled remains of the victims of 9/11 for the millionth time. Shame on you for not having the common sense to be disgusted by your own government who inflicted that gruesome death on children in Iraq for their own financial gain. Shame on you for not being able to recognize when you have been duped by a greedy presidency. And shame on you for being so intolerant and insulting to those of us who can only laugh in the face of a president who does not even posses a basic grasp of the English language. Did it ever occur to you that the giggles and laughter you heard where based in sheer humiliation because "that" is our president with the vacant gaze???

The reason the theater was not empty and you were a "Republican Island" is because the rest of us seek the truth that our government seems unable to provide. And from the sounds of your post, you are clearly not smarter than everyone you shared that theater with...just more myopic!!!!!
"

And I reply: Thank you so much for your anonymous opinion about me. This kind of reminds me of the time I received an anonymous note from a disgruntled church member: "Stop playing the hymns so fast. I hate the music." It always brightens one's day to know that a completely anonymous person has such strong opinions about my opinions.

Now, I just want to point out that this entire blog is, in essence, my opinion piece, just as Michael's Moore's movie is his opinion piece. Apparently, you grant Michael Moore the right to criticize people he disagrees with, yet I am not granted that same privilege in your eyes.

Also, I have a few questions:

1) Do the parents of the dead babies in Iraq deserve less respect that the survivors of the 9/11 terrorist attack?

2) Did I mention how I feel about our government's attack on Iraq? Do you think it's possible to be horrified by dead Iraqi civilians and horrified by Michael Moore's movie at the same time?

3) How was I personally duped by our president, oh, All-Knowing Anonymous One?

Thank your for your interest in my opinion. Next time, how about playing fair and signing your actual name? Otherwise, your opinion doesn't count.

And by the way, saying something out loud does not make it true. Neither does publishing something in a book. You might want to make a note of that for future reference.

4 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Well said.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Melodee,

Please accept my most sincere apology. How silly of me to think that your ?blog? was for the expression of any and all opinions. Clearly it is only intended on for those opinions that mimic your own. Nice to have a posse of like-minded buddies to give you the old thumbs-up isn?t it? Interesting though, the posse seems to only include such a precious few. I?m still not sure how I stumbled on you or why I felt compelled to respond. And yet here I am again.

1) Do the parents of the dead babies in Iraq deserve less respect that the survivors of the 9/11 terrorist attack? You bet they do! My intention was to defend the concept of not showing the same gruesome photos again and again to incite panic in an effort to engender support for a baseless cause. And maybe, just maybe, those horrifying images of dead children might just wake up the masses. Uh hello-The United States purposely attacked Iraq and didn?t give a tiny rat?s - - - about collateral damage.

2) Did I mention how I feel about our government's attack on Iraq? Do you think it's possible to be horrified by dead Iraqi civilians and horrified by Michael Moore's movie at the same time? True, you don?t mention how you feel about this despicable war?perhaps you should have. I?d like to think the human mind has the capacity to think/believe 2 things at once. And yet you disprove that. Do you think it is possible to love one?s country and be horrified by involvement in a war that makes no one safer, removes no threat to our nations sovereignty and only lines the pockets of the Bush?s cabinet?

3) How was I personally duped by our president, oh, All-Knowing Anonymous One? The ?all-knowing anonymous one? can only assume based on information provided. Maybe you weren?t duped, although you give every indication that you support the murder of hundreds of children, women & men?many of who are your compatriots. Forgive my rush to judgment.


Thank your for your interest in my opinion. Next time, how about playing fair and signing your actual name? Otherwise, your opinion doesn't count.

And by the way, saying something out loud does not make it true. Neither does publishing something in a book. You might want to make a note of that for future reference. Interesting closing statement. Safe to say this would apply to the trash you suggest we all read by Christopher Hitchens. Guess what I did. I?m actually rather well read. And in ?my opinion? he is no different than Michael Moore. Stating his opinion, supporting his cause. We choose to believe what jives with our own value structure. You have yours and I have mine and never the 2 shall meet.

Lest you marginalize my opinion as invalid by lack of a name, allow me to introduce myself, Melinda from not so far from where you live. No need to get your dander up. I won?t be visiting or responding anytime soon. I?ve had enough filth for 2 days.

Oh yes one last thing. I took a moment to cruise ?about you?. Do you think your adopted children will grow up and appreciate being differentiated from their ?homegrown? siblings? Gosh shame on you again!

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

VERY well said....people need to wake up and make their own decisions instead of listening to the one who yells the loudest....volume doesn't make you right! JBCoupe ;o)

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares